New HTIB Setup Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Sokol, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Brian Sokol

Brian Sokol Extra

Hi I just bought a Kenwood HTB 504. The vendor upgraded my receiver to the VR509. I also bought a Panasonic DVD CV51 changer. What are my options for connecting everything together? here is what I now have:

Proscan 32" TV - no component jacks - only S Video

VCR

VR509

Panny CV51

Very confused about which cable goes where, what is Toslink and do I need it etc.

thanks

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi brian -
    there's two different paths you can take.
    1. run all audio & video to the receiver.
    2. run audio to the receiver and video to the tv
    personally, i prefer to run everything to the receiver, then run only one video-out to the tv. this way, you can control and "switch" everything from one source (the receiver).
    others feel that, by running the video through the receiver first, that you will degrade the signal quality. i recommend you test and see for yourself.
    in order for your receiver to decode the dd/dts signal from your dvd player (don't forget to set it up in the dvd player too) you'll need either a digital coax cable or a toslink optical cable. note: use whichever you like better. some say there's a difference, other's say that's nonsense. you'll run the video out from the dvd player to either the tv or receiver, depending on what setup you decide.
    hope that helps some...if you have more questions just ask!
    [​IMG]

3. Brian Sokol

Brian Sokol Extra

Thanks!

So if I run everything through the 509 is this my setup:

Toslink from dvd to 509

Composite from dvd to 509

Svideo out from 509 to tv??

Do I run my vcr to the 509 or to the tv? Also if I want to watch a tv show with just the tv speakers can I do that without turning on the 509?

I also posted this question in the Wires section and here is a suggestion i got there:

Video

composite video cable from the 509 output to the TV input.

S-Video cable from the 509 output to the TV input.

Composite video cable from vcr output to 509 vcr input.

svideo cable from CV51 output to 509 dvd input.

audio

Left/Right audio cables from VRC output to 509 VCR audio input (the red and white plugs)

TOSLink Optical cable from CV51 output to 509 digital1 input. Assign digital1 to dvd using the 509's menu system (look in the manual for info on assigning and using digital inputs)

If your TV has audio outputs for external speakers, connect them to the receiver's TV audio inputs. Then turn off your internal tv speaker.

run speaker wires to each of your 5 speakers. Run a cable from the subwoofer output on the 509 to the subwoofer input on the sub.

Thanks Again

Brian

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

correct...run everything to the receiver first, then run the s-video to the tv.
    if you hook up the tv cable from the wall to vcr to tv, then you should be able to watch the tv without having to turn on the receiver. the sound will "follow" whatever path your tv cable is running.
    the recommendation given will work, but it seems like you're running two video out's from the receiver to the tv. i don't see the logic in that...unless i'm missing something. you'll get better picture quality with s-video anyway, so you should always use that when possible.
    oh yeah...i'm assuming the receive will convert composite to s-video?
    you have some flexibility in how you want to wire the audio for the tv. i use my vcr as the audio-out source...that way i only have to run one set of audio-outs (from vcr) to the receiver. you can, if you choose, also run the audio-out from the tv to the receiver. that's personal preference.
    man...where's bob mcelfresh? [​IMG] he's much better at explaining this stuff...

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Very few receivers convert S-video to composite. Many keep the signal paths entirely separate -- i.e., if a component send S-video to the receiver, the receiver will only send an S-video output. I don't know how the 509 handles it.
    M.

6. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

8. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Brian said his HTB 504 came with an upgraded VR 509. I had heard mention of this somewhere else as well. Is this common practice now?

Sorry this doesn't pertain to the setup question.

-Eric