What's new
World Wide Stereo

help with my new Toshiba 51hx83... (1 Viewer)

bill*a

Auditioning
I bought myself a Toshiba 51hx83. I also have a Toshiba sd-3800 dvd player.
I have the dvd set to progressive 16:9. I didn't expect the multiple stretch modes to be available. Should the tv be set to "full" mode? What setting will give the correct widescreen, unmodified (unstretched) picture?
Also, should the dvd be set on progressive? I thought I remembered hearing that the Toshiba sets upconvert to 1080 and that if the dvd player was doing this also, it would result in too many image conversions. This in turn resulting in a poorer image. Of course, I have a limited knowledge of such things and I could be completely wrong.
How should these two be set up to give the best picture?
Thanks,
Bill

728x90

JohnSni

Grip
I have a 57H83 and a Pioneer dv-45a. I run mine in interlaced and let the TV do its thing in 1080. Some vid looks better in 540p (animation, for some reason). You can turn the Film/Video off on your preference (3:2 pulldown).

I set mine to NORMAL or FULL, though FULL is a stretch mode, so if you have a true 16:9 movie and set the TV to NORMAL the image should fill the screen...I wish I was at home to check this out.

Anybody else on the forum have a comment?

By the by, you can change stretch modes on the Tosh for any 480 input, but not 720 or 1080.

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
The Toshiba manual is pretty confusing on this. I use Full for anamorphic DVDs, and TW2 for non-anamorphic.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The Film/Video option is only 'valid' for 480i input and only when the 'Display Format' is set to 540p.

FULL is the correct TheaterWide mode for DVD. If you set the DVD for interlaced output (non progressive scan), then the TV will automatically adjust the screen mode for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks