What's new

help w/ list of shielded front floorstanders for ht use (1 Viewer)

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
George,

Under the heading of "I may be a brain donor" but I can't kef reference 2.2's on kef website. google search gives me used ones or only available in europe. kef's reference line seems to be 502,402,302,202,etc

Can you help me find them.

thanks,

MM

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

There is a new Kef Reference line coming out, which have supertweeters that extend response out to 50Khz. They are a

totally different design to the old reference series.

You posted previously about Krix and Jamo speakers- I'm not sure what the markup is on Krix in the States, but here in Australia (where they are made), I found them very competitive for the price. In particular, the Lyrix had excellent detail and the Euphonix is meant to be much better. However, be aware that Krix *does* goose up the bass a little bit. As for Jamo, I've only heard the old 7 series and the Concert series (same as "D" series now?), and I felt that the 7.6's were overrated, but the Concert's were very nice- similar performance to the Dynaudio contour series IMHO.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
george/michael_ch,

Cool, the kef's sound like an interesting possibility, at least interesting. The big Q: are they going to be shielded?

Michael, have found krix euphonics online for $2500 usd retail and $2000 usd online discount. Don't know how this compares to aud (oz dollar??) price. Again, big Q: are they shielded??

If anybody has feedback on Jamo's would be appreciated...especially if I can find out about shielding.

Thanks to all as always...getting close to doing some demos, will need to find places to that carry some of these speaks.

MM

p.s.-forgot to ask: are there any sites to find out more details on new kef reference series (and are they called 2.2 as opposed to 502,etc..)?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
according the pdf 804 and cdm-9nt manuals i downloaded direct from the b&w site they are not shielded.

kevin t

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

Ok, great. So much for whatever book my salesman looked into. This bums me out b/c the B&Ws were really nice.

Mike_ch, looked at KEF's website again and I think the reference shown now is the new one (hypertweeter,etc). Really nice, just wondering if the 201's are supposed to be the rear surround. The 205's look like a good main if $$ is right. Wish there was a way to hear some of these, but the stores around here don't have everything. AlasThanks,

MM

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Might want to check out some of the smaller floor standing speakers from Thiel (www.thielaudio.com) The .5 and new 1.6 models would be in your price range and are both shielded, as are their bookshelf and center channel models. Beautifully made speakers that, IMO, are excellent for music and home theater.
Bob

george king

Supporting Actor
Micheal,

Several answers. The reference line is shielded. The reason I suggested the older Reference line is that Kef has introduced a new, and very different, reference series, and you should be able to pick up the older line at blowout prices. My local dealer is selling them at about 30-35% off list to clear the inventory. I really like the older Reference but have not heard the new series.

On a side note, I have heard the new Q series, which has some of the same technology, and they sounded really really good. So if this is any indication, the new Reference series should sound awesome. They are great for music and HT.

Hope this helps.

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
>>Desmond-these sound interesting (veritas). You said they're are thinking about making them or are making them? Also, you put "tower/monitors" and that you want 7 identical speakers...are they 7 towers or 7 monitors on stands?? As I will eventually do 7 speakers, this piques my >>>interest.

The Veritas is one of four or five brand new models that ACI is introducing as 25th Anniversary editions. I believe that the "center"- horizontal Veritas has either started shipping or will very soon. Mike indicated to me that they were already working on the "vertical" version. Looks like it would have to be over 30" tall, so it is a pretty big monitor. Mike mentioned that they were going to be doing a basic black version (no hardwood panels) for those that plan to build it in or install in cabinets. What really gets me going is having the powered mid-woofers with fully adjustable parametric EQ. I see two major benefits here: dynamic range is going to be awesome and the eq is going to allow us to get very accurate, natural response no matter where they are placed.

Alex F.

Second Unit
The stunning new line of Polk audiophile loudspeakers, the LSi's, are shielded. I recently chose a pair of LSi25 floorstanders over competitors costing up to about three times as much (e.g., Dunlavy SC-IVa, Vienna Acoustics Mahler, Martin-Logan Prodigy, B&W 803, Vandersteen 3A Signature, among others). The LSi's are worth an audition if you like a smooth, natural, relaxed, nonfatiguing sound with exceptional detail, dynamics, and soundstaging, plus top-level fit and finish. Polk's (polkaudio.com) only "mistake" was in underpricing them to such an extreme degree.

Happy listening!

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Am really getting to the point of having to go listening, probably this weekend.:) :)
Bob, the Thiels are beautiful!! saw the 2.3 on thiel's site. big yousa!!-i prefer the 3ways (over the 1.6 2way), but at $3500/pr it blows my budget. Maybe on my listening binge I'll check the 1.6's.
George, can't find KEFs locally, know of any online places for supply of previous ref series??
John D, these veritas have got me interested. no one I've talked to has heard of them or where to listen to for that matter. Will need to email guys there and find out a release time. As I have a few weeks/month to decide, hopefully they'll have 'em out by then.
Alex, thanks for the tip on the polk's but they have a side firing woofer (ala NHT) that I cannot use. Speakers will be in a recess next to the mitsu behometh.
Everybody gets a big load of thanks for all the help to a newbie on getting this system dialed in. I can't say enough for all the input and am jazzed about doing some listening tests on as many of these as I can.
MM

george king

Supporting Actor
Here is a list of Arizona Kef dealers from their site.

A/V CONTRACTORS: 8340 E. RAINTREE, SCOTTSDALE,AZ, 85260.

Tel: 602-443-3000.

JERRY'S AUDIO VIDEO: 4729 E. RAY RD. STE.6, AHWATUKEE, AZ, 85044.

JERRY'S AUDIO VIDEO: 8680 E. FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT BLVD, SCOTTSDALE, AZ, 85260.

JERRY'S AUDIO VIDEO: 600 E. CAMELBACK ROAD, PHOENIX, AZ, 85012.

Tel: +1 (0)602-263-9410.

Hope this helps.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
George,

thanks. Already went to jerry's on camelback and they didn't mention having them. The a/v contractors is a mile from the other Jerry's so I'll try them both this weekend. Thanks for the locations, suppose I could've grown a brain and used kef's dealer locater.duh.

MM

george king

Supporting Actor
No problem. I do the same thing. I do not know how up to date the list is. You may want to go in and ask if they carry the speakers.
Have fun, and let us know what you decide to get.:)

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
John D,

Ok, checked out Energy's website and looked at the veritas line. This is looking very, very much like what I'm after in a lot of respects. Namely the 2.3s as mains w/ matching surrounds.

Do you know if the 2.3s will be updated/facelifted/altered for 25th anniv edition?? Or will a similar model be added?

For all out there...can anybody leave me feedback/reviews on the 2.3s?? Closest dealer to me is Tucson (3hrs.) so I will not be able to audition for a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

MM

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
IF I HAD A BRAIN I'D BE DANGEROUS!!!!!!!

Yes, I went back to John's original post and looked again. What I had done was to do a search on google for "veritas speakers". Came up w/ Energy's Veritas line!!

Ok, then we still need to see what's happening with the 25th anniv releases. The aci's do also look good and i want to see what they relase new. (even a slightly less $$ Talisman would be nice.

Ok reviews on aci veritas (if out/shipped yet) and actually would like to hear about the Energy 2.3s (even if an accidental find, it has a lot of what I'm after.)

Thanks from the brain donor.

MM

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin/John/anyone,

Couple of q's about the the aci's:

If I have a good quality amp (either outlaw or rotel 200x5, probably the outlaw), do I need powered speakers and is there still a benefit to powered woofers if I have an adequate amp?

Second, I was considering adding an outlaw ICBM for bass management applications; would the veritas' internal para EQ be an overlap of functions or would I not need the ICBM?

Bonus question: would there be any sonic difference or drawbacks to using 2 different amps (the speaker's own and the outlaw/rotel) powering the same speakers (ie-2 mixing amps to the same speakers?)

Thanks, I'm not very familiar with powered woofers, so I don't really understand how they fit/work with a regular system.

MM

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
>>>Couple of q's about the the aci's:
If I have a good quality amp (either outlaw or rotel 200x5, probably the outlaw), do I need powered speakers and is there still a benefit to powered woofers if I have an adequate amp?
Second, I was considering adding an outlaw ICBM for bass management applications; would the veritas' internal para EQ be an overlap of functions or would I not need the ICBM?
Bonus question: would there be any sonic difference or drawbacks to using 2 different amps (the speaker's own and the outlaw/rotel) powering the same speakers (ie-2 mixing amps to the same speakers?)
Thanks, I'm not very familiar with powered woofers, so I don't really understand how they fit/work with a regular system.
>>MM
Michael, I believe there are tremendous benefits to having the woofer section in this speaker powered. For one, the amplifier and woofers are designed together to get the best possible total performance. The other really big advantage is the control you have over the balance of the speaker. A speaker that sounds balanced sitting out in the room will sound very colored if you flush mount it in a cabinet. The electronics that ACI is using will allow you to tailor the speaker's response for any possible placement. This is a major improvement in the real world. Since the internal amp is handling from 80Hz to (I think they said around 300Hz), your main amp will not have to deliver nearly the current or work as hard. You could certainly get by with less power than if running full-range.
I believe this speaker simply hooks up like any other speaker, though a set of speaker connections. The only difference to the user is that it has a power cord which must be plugged in.
As to reviews, these models are brand new and it will probably be a while. You'd have to ask ACI to see if they even have reviews scheduled. On the other hand, they do have hundreds of rave reviews of all their products in every magazine from Stereophile to Audio Critic, to Positive Feedback etc etc and tons of web reviews. I've owned and recommended a lot of ACI gear and have always been WAY happy with the results. The other thing is of course their money-back guarantee, no matter what speakers you like, make DARN sure you can return them if they don't do it for you. This is easy with ACI. Yep, I really love their stuff and their service. You also might want to check in over at their support forum : http://www.smr-forums.com/aci.html AND, definitely do searches at AA, HD, AR, you'll find that ACI is legendary among audiophiles. HAve fun!

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Sorry took a little while to get a chance to get back on.

This is sounding better and better. As these will sit in a wall recess (1' from rear and about 9"-12" side to side), being able to adjust for this lousy forced (WAF) placement may be the best solution. Am anxious to see the verticle version w/ stands (?) and if anything else comes out for their 25th anniv.

Are there rear surrounds to match these? An almost 3' tall rear may be a tough set up. (will work great as matching fronts w/ center though).

Also, is ACI only on line or are there dealers? (would be nice to listen to.)

Thanks again!

MM

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, I'm pretty excited about the vertically oriented Veritas. I've heard practically every system that Mike D and company have produced in the last 8 or 9 years. They know how to make great speakers. I am very likely to end up with 7 of these babies in my HT.

Having followed them for this long, I can see that they are really going all out for their anniversary. LOTs of new and very cool models.

ACI may be the oldest factory-direct speaker company around. They used to of course do it more through catalogs, but they were one of the first audio companies to go on-line back in the mid 90s. They only sell direct, and you get 30 days after you get them to work them over. I believe that you have to pay only the return shipping if for some reason they don't work out. Probably no more expense that the car costs of shopping B& M.

They are likely to have a pre-sale price on the vertical Veritas when they announce it, that has proven to be a way to save quite a bit. That's my plan!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks