What's new

help w/ list of shielded front floorstanders for ht use (1 Viewer)

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Salutations to all from a newbie!

Am in the process of replacing entire ht over the course of the next 9-12 months and have some very specific speaker constraints that I need help with.

I will either order 950/755 Outlaw or purshase 1066/1095 Rotel this week to start. Speakers are next. The problem is my room (22ft deep, 16ft wide; front floor standers (preferrably) will have to sit in a wall recess next to rptv (new Mitsu 65" Diamond). Recess is 2' deep and 9 1/2' wide. This makes for good size room (hence floorstanders) but must have shielded mains. Price needs to be under $2500.00 (ish) for mains. First thought was B&W cdm9nt, also diva 6.1 (found out mid is not shielded though), Paradigm ref100's (not shielded), krix euphonix (not shielded)...see the dilema. Cdm9nt is front runner, just wondering about alternatives. Thanks to all for help.

Walt N

Second Unit
It's the woofers on the Diva 6.1's that aren't shielded if that matters at all, but I don't think the CDM9NT's are shielded either. I'm sure there are plenty out there, but the floorstanders that come to my mind right away that are shielded for sure are the Klipsch Ref's.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Walt,

Went to local high end store saturday. purpose was to listen to 1066. Unfortunately it was grand opening and could not really evaluate 1066 because too much "boom" coming from linn,revel,mark levinson rooms. Anyways, store clerk (and b&w rep) both said cdm's were shielded. Hope this is correct. (sales guy did not seem to know a lot though).

thanks,MM

Walt N

Second Unit
That's interesting. It seems the B&W website would make mention of that as they do with their center channel speaker. My friend bought a pair of 603 S2's after being told by a dealer that they were shielded and they aren't, we pulled a woofer out to check. However, with his placement it turned out not to be an issue. Before buying, I'd definitely have them take a woofer out for you so you can see the Mu Metal cup over the magnet (or bucking magnet attached to the driver magnet) for yourself.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Michael, if the speakers are placed next to an rptv, it may not be a problem if the speakers are shielded or not. I have a pair of bp2000TL's sitting right next to a Pioneer rptv, also in a walled insert and used in a large room. I haven't had any interference problems at all.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Walt,

Salesman even went to a "manual" of b&w and checked. Now I'm not sure of what he said.

Bob,

It would be nice not to worry about interference (since I'd probably take the paradigm 100's for now.) But I'm not big on spending 2g's and being wrong.

Anybody know for sure on this, or if there's any other shielded front floorstanders I should look at.

thanks,

MM

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Michael, will it be possible for you to test this out at a local dealer, using the Mitsubishi and using some tower speakers? You might want to start another thread asking about loudspeaker shielding and Mitsubishi rptv's.

By the way, are you totally set on tower speakers? The DT PowerMonitors are shielded and they will give you tower-like bass.

Good luck!

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
Sorry it took so long to get back. (11hr days-I get to see what's written during the day but no chance to respond at work).
Anyways, no I will probably not be able to test this or any set up. Am just concerned from manual for mitsu warning about interference from speakers and the larger magnets from bigger towers. Not to mention numerous people warning about having big speaks next to tv. What I was hoping was to come up with was a list of speakers (that are shielded) before even listening.
Now if all this is hooey, then no problem!!:)
New thought...no I have not really considered smaller speakers. Am sort of set on towers (b/c I prefer them and believe they will fill a larger room with a bigger soundstage).
Are the dt's side throw. Thought they fire off to the side w/ bass (or am I confused w/ nht)...don't really want something firing straight into the wall or tv cabinet.
Thanks for the help,
MM

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Michael, you are correct...those DT models have a side-firing woofer, which can be problematic if placed too close to a wall.
I found out that Axiom Audio has shielded floorstanding speakers.
www.axiomaudio.com
Good luck!

David Head

Second Unit
Michael,
The entire line of PSB Image speakers are shielded. You can demo PSB speakers in Phoenix at:
Dennis Sage Home Entertainment
4643 North 12th St
Phoenix, AZ 85014
602-274-3211
You can check here for other dealers in your area (Scotsdale, Tucson, etc.)
I have a set of PSB Image speakers (3LR/8C/1B) that I absolutely love! They're great for HT and music. I highly recommend them.
David

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Thanks for the tip on where to find psb's. Have heard the stratus silver/gold are pretty good and if they have the image line I'll have to check those out also. They're less $$, no??

I keep looking at more expensive speakers and although I can get them, it just means saving longer and the system won't be complete as soon.

Has anyone heard anything about Jamo or Krix??

Also, there is someone on HTF that has a mitsu rptv w/ the paradigm 100's. (read a thread yesterday and was going to write this person direct, but I forgot who it was and I can't remember which thread I saw it in.)If anyone recognizes a member with that set up, please respond so I can ask about interference.

Thanks all!!

MM

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
These suckers are sheilded. And have been choosen over B&W Nautilus 804 (what he was going to buy until he decided to give the kit a whorl) and Paradigm Studio100 (what he owned before he built the 281) by owners:
http://www.diycable.com/281_tl.htm
And if you have the skills instead of getting them to build them for you, you can order the parts kit ($370 for a pair) from Adire Audio and build the cabinets yourself.

David Head

Second Unit
You're welcome Michael.
Yes, the Stratus line are VERY nice speakers, but unfortunately for you they aren't shielded.
The Image line is less expensive and has also received a lot of positive press. Here is a list of reviews and Link Removed at Secrets of the 5T. You can also search this forum to find a lot of happy owners.
Good luck with your search.
David

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, I'd suggest you email Mike D at ACI about this one. I've been talking to him about doing a tower/monitor version of their new Veritas.
http://www.audioc.com/speakers/Veritas/intro.htm
He has told me that this is definitely in the works and in fact will have a model specifically meant for placing into a wall cavity or built-in cabinet. I am specifically interested in having 7 identical units for a dedicated 7.1 room. This should really be the ticket!
Email mike at; [email protected]

Brian_C

Stunt Coordinator
Probably quite a bit below what you are looking to spend, but the JBL S Series speakers are all shielded.

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about the Paradigm Ref. 100s, but I have the Ref. 60s and they are shielded (as is the CC).

Allan

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! a bunch of good suggestions!
Dustin, the Adire's look great, when I get home from work I'll read the reviews. I am definately not the DIYer, but the $$ is right in my window.
Desmond-these sound interesting (veritas). You said they're are thinking about making them or are making them? Also, you put "tower/monitors" and that you want 7 identical speakers...are they 7 towers or 7 monitors on stands?? As I will eventually do 7 speakers, this piques my interest.
Allan, think I will have to email someone at Paradigm for answer about shielding on the ref 100's. Although I'm almost positive they aren't.:frowning:
Again, thanks for all the help.
Next Q's will be on dipoles, but first things first!
MM

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
PSB also has another set of speakers at a lower price point. The Alpha T towers go for $549 a pair. Use them with a Alpha C center and Alpha B surrounds.
Check them out here.
Just another suggestion at a lower price.

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
With regard to the Ref. 60s, you can either choose the sielded ones or the non-shielded ones. I am not sure about the 100s, but it is worth looking into.

Allan

george king

Supporting Actor
If your budget is about $2.5K for the mains alone, check out some Kef Reference 2.2's. Great speakers for HT and music.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks