What's new

help setting up my system, first time. (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
glenn -

i haven't looked behind new cd players in quite some time. i've always thought that usually the higher-end models will include a digital out.

most of the ones...especially in "my day" only had analog outs.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
Just a update.
I returned my Yamaha receiver and bought a Harmon 325.

I'm still trying to figure out my speaker situation. I have all my stuff set up, but no sound because i haven't run the wires yet.

I'm looking at the 310II but someone told me they have to much bass. I already have a Velodyne 10" and they told me all the diffrent bass's will mix together and won't likely sound very good.
Do the N38's have a lot of bass?

I think i want floor speakers compared to my N26's being up on stands.
I can get new speakers and i can return my stands which were pretty expensive also.

Any thoughts about the bass conflick's on the 310II's?

I realize the 310II's are big upgrades and will sound much better then my N26's up front.....but what about the N38II's? Is that a big upgrade also compared to my N26's?

Thanks

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Yes the N38II's will also be a nice upgrade. I wish you could listen to them first though because I dont like making recommendations to people who can't hear the speakers befor buying.
I dont know about that "bass conflict". I think it will be more of a bass enhancement. You will definately be getting more bass from the floorstanding speakers compared to your bookshelf but I wouldn't say that its going to be in conflict with the bass from the sub. Once again I wish you could listen to the speakers first.

P.S. When I listened to the N38II's and the S310II's I felt that the N38II's had more of a muffled bass sound and the S310II's were a little "cleaner".

Drew_W

Screenwriter
You need only one subwoofer cable. The Velodyne CHT subs (the ones that Future Shop carries) have a stereo sub connection, so you'll need a Y splitter, two male to one female. Then just use a single sub cable from the splitter to the Subwoofer Out on the receiver.

There's also a new JBL Northridge line out, the "E" series, which have replaced the "N" series at my local Best Buy. They now have the remaining "N" series speakers on clearance for as much as 50% off retail. I'm not quite sure what the difference is although I think some of the "E" series speakers are bi-wireable and are alot more slender than the "N" series.

I'm going to assume the reason you paid more money for the DV563 versus the DV363 is the ability to play multichannel DVD-Audio and SACDs. To get this multichannel DVDA or SACD you need to use the six analog outputs on the back of the DVD player. Since you say you don't listen to that much music, I'm wondering why you didn't get the 363 which I think would be better suited to your needs. In any case, a fibre optic or digital coax cable (only one) will carry all six channels of sound (Dolby Digital or DTS) to your receiver, which will then do the processing.

From your HDTV box, you'll need to use the component connection to connect it to the TV. This is the only connection that carries the high-definition signal. And since you have an HDTV box, a DVD player, AND the X-box that all use component, you have a bit of a problem: the TV has only two sets of component inputs. What you can do though is connect two of those devices to the H/K's component inputs, and then connect the receiver to one of the TV's inputs. Connect the remaining device to the TV's other input. This means though that you'll need FOUR sets of component cables. Cha-ching. $$$

You'll need to connect the audio from the DVD player by digital coax cable to the H/K. You can then use the two optical inputs to connect the HDTV box and the XBOX in surround sound. I'd then connect the video outputs of the remaining components (VCR and Gamecube) directly to the TV, and the audio outputs from those to the receiver (two pairs of stereo RCA cables I believe).

Then when you have it all connected, pop in Avia or the Sound and Vision calibration disc to make sure there is no frequency overlap between the sub and the speakers. That way you won't get a boom in a certain frequency range. You'll also be able to use an SPL meter to properly set the levels for all the speakers so you have a nice even soundfield. You can then use the Video calibrations to calibrate the TV. The time invested in this will reap great rewards, trust me.

And just to say what's been said a million times again: people can say that certain speakers have certain qualities...but these are all subjective assessments. If you like the speakers and the way they sound, all the power to you. You'll be listening to your system more than anyone else.

That said, have fun and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks