What's new

[Help] Portal DVD Players? (1 Viewer)

_Jay_

Agent
I want to get a portal dvd player and have between $300 and $400 to spend on one. I just don't know where to start looking and what to look for. Are there any good players for this price?

thanks!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
In that price range, your options will mostly be the "off-brand" players, or a unit with a smaller 5-inch screen. Toshiba has a new 7-inch model, the SD-P1200, that can be found online for around $450. Also, OneCall has a new Panasonic model with a 5-inch screen listed for $399.

Toshiba SD-P1200

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_18441.htm

Personally, I would recommend the largest screen size that you can afford. I used to own a 7-inch Pioneer LC10, and recently upgraded to a 8.9-inch Toshiba SD-P2000. The larger screen size is noticable, and the Toshiba's progressive scan picture was also a major improvement over my older Pioneer.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's an amazing price for the Toshiba SD-P2000 at OneCall. I paid $560 for a brand new one about a month ago from them. Considering that LCD screens are prone to pixel failures, though, what kind of risk is there in buying a refurbished unit? My old Pioneer LC10 one pixel die after some use, and it really bugged me.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Scott ...

you and I keep crossing paths with similar interests.

I too have the Pioneer PDV-LC10. It's been a die-hard for me. After several years of travel use, I have yet to have a problem. Now tell me, how would you compare the Tosh picture quality to the LC10? Tosh is progressive scan and, I believe greater pixel density despite the 60% larger screen.

Indeed, I am still amazed at that price from OneCall. I've always had good luck with refirbs ... finding them to be virtually same quality as new. Actually, the fact that each unit was recently re-checked at the factory is a plus in my mind. It's just killing me to upgrade to the SDP2000. But it's hard to justify when I blew $950 on my PDV-LC10 a few years ago.

Of course the SDP2000 was recently replaced by the SDP2500 ... a bit nicer looking, but you wont find the new one for $360.

Oh ... what to do???

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks