[Help] Portal DVD Players?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by _Jay_, Jun 15, 2003.

1. _Jay_

_Jay_ Agent

I want to get a portal dvd player and have between $300 and $400 to spend on one. I just don't know where to start looking and what to look for. Are there any good players for this price?

thanks!

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

In that price range, your options will mostly be the "off-brand" players, or a unit with a smaller 5-inch screen. Toshiba has a new 7-inch model, the SD-P1200, that can be found online for around $450. Also, OneCall has a new Panasonic model with a 5-inch screen listed for $399.

Toshiba SD-P1200

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_18441.htm

Personally, I would recommend the largest screen size that you can afford. I used to own a 7-inch Pioneer LC10, and recently upgraded to a 8.9-inch Toshiba SD-P2000. The larger screen size is noticable, and the Toshiba's progressive scan picture was also a major improvement over my older Pioneer.

3. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Dont waste your $$ on the off brands or screens smaller than 7".

For a MAJOR portable DVD score, join the onecall pass program ( free to join) then purchase the Toshiba SDP-2000 progressive scan 8.9" portable for $363.53

It appears they are awaiting a re-stock, but it would certainly be worth a week or so wait. This is the deal of the summer so far.

Scott

4. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

That's an amazing price for the Toshiba SD-P2000 at OneCall. I paid $560 for a brand new one about a month ago from them. Considering that LCD screens are prone to pixel failures, though, what kind of risk is there in buying a refurbished unit? My old Pioneer LC10 one pixel die after some use, and it really bugged me.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Scott ...

you and I keep crossing paths with similar interests.

I too have the Pioneer PDV-LC10. It's been a die-hard for me. After several years of travel use, I have yet to have a problem. Now tell me, how would you compare the Tosh picture quality to the LC10? Tosh is progressive scan and, I believe greater pixel density despite the 60% larger screen.

Indeed, I am still amazed at that price from OneCall. I've always had good luck with refirbs ... finding them to be virtually same quality as new. Actually, the fact that each unit was recently re-checked at the factory is a plus in my mind. It's just killing me to upgrade to the SDP2000. But it's hard to justify when I blew $950 on my PDV-LC10 a few years ago.

Of course the SDP2000 was recently replaced by the SDP2500 ... a bit nicer looking, but you wont find the new one for $360.

Oh ... what to do???

Scott

6. Scott Merryfield

Supporter