What's new

Help please with equipment selections (1 Viewer)

Joe Pad

Auditioning
I'm just getting into HT and have learned quite a bit from here already but need some help. I plan on using the equipment 50/50 HT and music. I have about $700-800 to spend right now. This is what I have planned on getting.

Receiver- Onkyo 494 or maybe the 595 depends on money.

DVD- I really want a 5 disc changer so I can play cd's also so I was thinking of the Panasonic CV51 or the Toshiba SD2715. I don't have a need for progressive scan right now.

Speakers- I have 2 thoughts here both include getting a sub at a later date. 1 option I was thinking was getting the JBL NSP1 set. 2nd option is getting a pair Paradigm Atoms now and save up for something like Monitor 5's or 7's and a CC370 and move the Atoms to the rear.

What do you guys think is the best way to go with the speakers and my choices of receivers and dvd players. I'm open to other options. Thanks

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Well, I would steer clear of the 494- lacks features that a budget receiver should have. I personnaly bought the denon avr1602 & am pleased with it. This too was my introduction into HT. If I didnt buy the denon I would of bought the kenwood vr507 - which has the same features of the denon. The kenwood could be had for around 250 the denon around 350. Just my 2cents -Brian

Joe Pad

Auditioning
Thanks for your reply Brian. How does the Denon compare to the 595 since they are closer in the $350 price range??

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
I have experience with the 494 and I believe its a nice receiver for an entry level system. From reviews that I have seen, the Kenwood VR507 is a nice receiver as well. With your limited budget, I don't think you could squeeze in a Denon 1602 or the Onkyo 595. You might be asking for more than you can pay for though: If you chose the 494 or VR507 ($250 - 300), along with one of the 5 disc DVD changers you mentioned ($250) that only leaves you $300 for speakers if you use your maximum budget of $800. This definetely is not enough for the NSP1 set, while you still have to consider speaker wire and AV cables.

With your budget, you really have three choices:

1) Get a 494 or VR507, a single disc DVD player and a couple of quality speakers. Then wait until you can save some more.

2) Go for a "Home Theater in a Box". I hear that Kenwoods, which includes the VR507 is nice, but am unsure of the price.

3) Save up some more money.

Hope this helps you out.

Joe Pad

Auditioning
Well I just got the Panasonic CV51 today and have it plugged into the TV. This is my first DVD player and man I'll tell you, I've been missing out. I've only watched one movie so far, but my opinion of the CV51 so far would be, pretty darn nice. I'll keep you all posted on how things go for me. I think I'm going to scrape up some more money and get the Onkyo 595 and a pair of Paradigm Atoms and matching center channel to get me started and add some Monitor 5's or 7's and a sub later. Thanks to all who replied earlier.

Mike Kao

Second Unit
I have the Harman Kardon DVD5 5-disc carousal changer and absolutely love it. The sound & picture is incredible; surely surpasses that of my old Pioneer. I liked it so much I bought a second for the bedroom. I just got an X-box though, so I will be getting rid of one of them. If you're interested please e-mail me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks