help please with a Dutch swear word

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew markworthy, May 2, 2002.

1. andrew markworthy

On an episode of 'Friends' the word 'aisols' (that's the best phoenetic spelling I can manage) was used. I can't find it in a dictionary nor have the Friends sites picked up on it yet. Please can someone tell me what it means?

And if I'm posting topics like this, maybe I should get out more.

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

hmm, good idea, go outside and play.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

you sure it isn't a garbled 'asshole' to get by US censors

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Sounds like you were watching "Johnny Dangerously"

5. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Whenever I have seen that episode, I have always assumed it is the Dutch equivalent of the German word "esel", meaning "donkey" or perhaps "ass" (see babelfish.altavista.com). Seeing as how many Dutch and German words are very similar, that has always made since to me.
    Actually, a quick google search has turned up what seems to corroborate this:
    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/netdict?easel
    Maybe I have too much time, also! :b

6. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Well, when that episode comes out on DVD, use the English sub-titles to solve it for you [​IMG]

7. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Which episode was it? If you know someone who has the series, check out the subtitles, as someone mentioned earlier. (Sorry guys, seasons 1-7 are out in Europe. I myself own seasons 1-6 [​IMG]).
    -Christian

8. andrew markworthy

To answer the questions - it's not on the subtitles of the DVD, and it's an episode in Series 8 (the one where the old lady is dying in an apartment in Ross's building, and Ross pretends to be Dutch to curry favour; at one point Gunther starts speaking Dutch and calls Ross the word; Ross uses the same word on Rachel and Joey at the end of the programme).

Scott, thanks for the link - I think that solves it. I'd tried an online Dutch-English dictionary which didn't list it (of course, using the wrong spelling doesn't help matters).