What's new

help please with a Dutch swear word (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
On an episode of 'Friends' the word 'aisols' (that's the best phoenetic spelling I can manage) was used. I can't find it in a dictionary nor have the Friends sites picked up on it yet. Please can someone tell me what it means?

And if I'm posting topics like this, maybe I should get out more.

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Whenever I have seen that episode, I have always assumed it is the Dutch equivalent of the German word "esel", meaning "donkey" or perhaps "ass" (see babelfish.altavista.com). Seeing as how many Dutch and German words are very similar, that has always made since to me.
Actually, a quick google search has turned up what seems to corroborate this:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/netdict?easel
Maybe I have too much time, also! :b

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Which episode was it? If you know someone who has the series, check out the subtitles, as someone mentioned earlier. (Sorry guys, seasons 1-7 are out in Europe. I myself own seasons 1-6 :D).
-Christian

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
To answer the questions - it's not on the subtitles of the DVD, and it's an episode in Series 8 (the one where the old lady is dying in an apartment in Ross's building, and Ross pretends to be Dutch to curry favour; at one point Gunther starts speaking Dutch and calls Ross the word; Ross uses the same word on Rachel and Joey at the end of the programme).

Scott, thanks for the link - I think that solves it. I'd tried an online Dutch-English dictionary which didn't list it (of course, using the wrong spelling doesn't help matters).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks