Help on camcorder purchase.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn R, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Shawn R

Shawn R Extra

I am new here so I wasnt sure what forum this should go in but here it goes. Ok, I am thinking about buying a camcorder. Well, I have some questions and I was hoping you guys could help. Firstly, Does anyone recommend anything specifically. I dont want to spend more than $400. I would like to spend from $200- $400. Also is digital neccesary; or should I go 8mm. What are the advantages of digital. I would like to edit on my computer and move scenes around and add music and effects but is all that possible with a cheaper digital cam. What moviemacking software is recommended. And also if I do edit like stated above on the computer with a digital then when I finish can I put it on a tape, or will it only be asscesible from the computer. Can I even burn it on a CD and take it with me? Thanks for all the help and I appreciate it a lot.

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Do not get an analog campcorder. The reasons are multitudinal, if you want to use your computer to capture and edit video, get a digital, either DV or Digital8 but I personally would avoid the Sony proprietary Digital8 format.

I am using an older model refurbished Panasonic PV-DV900 DV camcorder that I got from www.refurbishedstore.com for $359. I highly recommend this model and this online retailer.

Also, forum sponsor www.gotapex.com had a DV camcorder on their deals page yesterday - look for it.

4. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

You should probably increase your budget if you plan on editing movies on your PC. Also, as recommended, go with miniDV. The big difference with digital, aside from the much better picture quality, as that no matter how many times you play the tape, the quality will not degrade like analog. Also, you lose little to no quality when transfering from camcorder to pc and back to camcorder (after editing).

I did the whole 9 yards last year. First I bought a miniDV camera, a Sony TRV-18. Then I added a new 80GB hard drive for video, and a firewire (IEEE 1394) card. For software I bought Ulead's Media Studio Pro 6.5 Directors Cut.

I've been pretty happy with my setup, but it did cost a bit of money.

Mike D.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

7. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

9. MarkHastings

Phil,

What kind of capture drive do you have? As Mike__D stated, the drive could be having trouble keeping up with the capturing. SCSI drives are the best for video capture, Firewire drives are perfectly fine as well, but I'd avoid IDE drives...I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't think an IDE drive can keep up with the demand for capturing video.

I guees it's also possible that there is a glitch on the tape. Anything's possible. Do the dropped frames happen in the same place....I know you can't figure out exactly where the droped frames are, but when you were recording in 15 minute intervals, was there a specific segment of the tape that gave you drops or did it seem random?

10. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Guys, not to change the subject, but I too am in the minidv boat and basically have decided on the new JVC DR-90US.. now my question is: on mini dv tapes.. are they essentially recording 1's and 0's to the tape.. so can I reuse a tape? or is it like analog where I need a new tape for everything? Also what is the difference between sp/lp.. if its digital why would it matter? - One more thing - the GRD90 says it has "Analog Input" - I am assuming that means I can take an old VHS tape and convert it into digital with the pc?

thanks!

jim

11. MarkHastings

12. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

thanks mark.. by "reusing the tape" I mean transfering it to the pc, then just deleting it on the minidv tape.. whereas with analog, if I want to keep it, either I dub it or save the tape.. In my mind I imagine shooting it with the camera, transfering it to the pc, burn to dvd, then erase tape. Does that make sense?? Finally does lp/sp just mean more compression?

thanks!

jim

13. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

14. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Jim,

You can reuse the tapes. DV is stored magnetically on the tape, just like analog.

Mike D.

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

16. MarkHastings

Mike,

Adobe Premiere's DV capture requires at least a 7200RPM UDMA 66 IDE drive. I thought DV runs close to 15MB/sec., but Adobe says: "hard disk or disk array capable of sustaining 5MB/sec"

17. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor