What's new

Help needed for budget HT projo, please (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Lin

Auditioning
I want to replace my RCA 61" rear projection TV with a ceiling mounted projector. I have a dedicated HT room that is dark all the time and would only watch DVD's and play XBox on the projector. The room is about 12 feet long. Main reason for changing is to get a 90" to 100" screen size.

My budget is $2000 (Cdn)for projector.

Does anyone have any thoughts or personal experience that would help me out?

Thank you,
Kevin

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Kevin, that sounds like too big of a screen for a 12' long room. How far back would you sit, about 10'? For most lower end projectors, you should sit about 2X screen width back from screen. If you sat 10' back, you should use a screen about 5' wide. You may be able to get away with a 6' wide screen, you'll have to experiment. I have the X1 and I love it. I have a 52"X92" screen and I sit back about 15 feet.

Kevin_Lin

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice Jim, these are the little things that are good to know!! I currently have 2 rows of theatre seats that are 12' and 9' away from my TV. The 12' row is the best distance, the 9' is for kids or when we have 6 people over.

Kevin

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Lahey, Knock Knock.........

Since your budget is CDN you may opt for a used CRT FP or something like the Epson Home 10+, Z-1, L300, the Epson has a great warranty and low cost of ownership for a digital, if you're a DLP affshianado then it's a catch 23, you could go for an Optoma H30 since the X-1 is disco'd. (Like J-Roc's Disco);)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks