Help needed: connecting component cable to projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by HenkD, Sep 10, 2003.

1. HenkD

HenkD Auditioning

I want to connect my progressive scan DVD via component cable to an Optoma projector. The Optoma has a VGA input and an input referred to in the manual as M1-A. The latter looks almost like a parallel port connection on computers. Question: can the VGA input be used to get all the benefits of the progressive scan DVD? Advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Henk, questions regarding front projectors are rarely in the domain of beginners. I think you'll get better response here. Good luck.

3. HenkD

HenkD Auditioning

Where Jack?

4. HenkD

HenkD Auditioning

Sorry Jack -just realised that you moved my post to Display Devices. Many thanks.

5. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

Yes you can use your component progressive output to connect to your your VGA projector. All you need is an adapter. I purchased one from provantage.com for $8 including shipping. There are other adapters and methods that will perform the same function but this adapter is specifically designed for this purpose.

6. HenkD

HenkD Auditioning

Thanks Mike. If I understand you correctly, then the projector VGA input does accept a progressive scan signal from the DVD. Apparently one can have a cable made up (I need 12 metres) with RCA connectors one end and a VGA connector on the other. That would be first prize I guess, eliminating additional adapters and possible signal loss.

7. Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett Stunt Coordinator