What's new

Help me remember the name of this Sci/Fi book! (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I would like to reread this book but the name or author escapes me. I’m constantly buying and trading used paperbacks and I don’t have this one any longer. It's been probably 5+ years since I read this book, so bear with me.

Here goes: I remember the main character was an alien pirate or bounty hunter and used some kind of "illegal" mind control device on a female he had captured. I remember him visiting an outpost and he wanted to show off his "female" but the pirate was concerned that someone would discover the "implant". I believe eventually he was found out and others freed the female but I think the pirate got away.

I know it's not much to go on, but there are a few "Die Hard" SCI/Fi readers on this board that might recognize these "sketchy" details.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Sounds like the "Gap" series by Stephen R. Donaldson. Starts with "The Gap Into Conflict: The Real Story" and continues with the gap into knowledge, power, etc. Good series of books, I'm going to have to dig up my copies as well now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Yup, another of Donaldson's antihero series. There is absolutely nothing to like about any of the folks in that series, but we end up rooting for various characters at different times anyway. ;)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Thanks guys!

F.Y.I........The book was Donaldson's "The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story".

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Angus Thermopyle, Nick Succorso and Morn Hyland, hey I still remember their friggin names I can't believe it! I've re-read the five novel 'Gap' series twice so far.
It's good filthy, violent, disgusting, degrading, abusive fun.:) :emoji_thumbsup:

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Dave: You win a brand spanking new! :emoji_thumbsup: ENJOY!

I will reread the first book of course, but what should I expect from the next 4 books, if I buy them?

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Force grown kids, paranoid captains, cyborgs, slimy aliens, megalomaniacs... the rest of the series is even better than the first book in my opinion.

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
If you enjoyed the first book, I think you will absolutely love the rest. I personally feel that the first book was the weakest, more of an introduction to the story than an actual story itself. It's kind of the way I feel about Stephen King's Gunslinger series. The first book is more like an introduction and the later books get much deeper and much more involved.

MikeP

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Michael, I thought the first one was good, but not great. But, I had never read any other Sci-Fi book that was this "stark and gritty". Maybe that's what appealed to me. Asimov and Clarke was more of what I was accustomed to.

As for the Gunslinger series, I've read them all three times and the only one I was disappointed with was the last one. I thought it was weak and somewhat aimless, compared to the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks