What's new

Help me pick a sub please (1 Viewer)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Im a newbie here so please bear with me. I have $350 credit at a local store & I need to get a subwoofer for my small room(12X12X8) for my HT setup. The ones I narrowed down to are the Polk PSW350, Infinty Entra, Cerwin Vega LW-12,Klipsch KSW10, or the Velodyne CHT8. Any of your comments on any of these subs is most welcome. Yes, I know for the money there are better subs out there, but this is what I am stuck with for now.

Thanks

Vin

Supporting Actor
Realizing that you want to use the $350 credit, I would, at the very least, add $50 to that and get the Velodyne CHT-10. The improvement over the CHT-8 will be well worth the added cost and will outperform any of the other subs that you're considering, IMO. (The next step up the Velodyne ladder would be the CHT-12 which goes for around $100 more than the CHT-10).

Hope this helps.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The Cerwin Vegas seem boomy to me and I think I remember complaints about poor integration with main speakers. I'd stay away from the CVs.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Yeah, i heard the CVs were boomy. I will consider the CHT-10 for $50.00 extra. I cant seem to find any info or reviews on the Entra sub.

Steve Alan

Agent
I agree with Vin here; pop in an extra 50-75 dollars to get the cht-10. Don't bother finding info/reviews on the Entra sub. Not only is this "subwoofer" not worth the asking price, it's not even worth your time listening to it. As for the CVs, they can play loud but not all that deep like the Velodynes can. The polks aren't bad at all for the $$$ but don't have the ablity to play as deep as the Velodyne. The choice is pretty obvious!!:D

ToddJoseph

Stunt Coordinator
Ted, If I where you, find a buddy who is looking for some equipment, by it, re- sell it to them for your credit amount, and then save a little to buy the 25-31PC from SVS. Otherwise, later on down the road you will be kicking yourself in the butt. I was looking at either the Velo's or Klipsches. Decided to save a few more months and never looked back

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
What's the least you can spend on a sub woofer yet still buying something nice sounding? I would say somewhere in the $200- 400 price range?

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Ted, If I where you, find a buddy who is looking for some equipment, by it, re- sell it to them for your credit amount, and then save a little to buy the 25-31PC from SVS.
I was just going to say the same thing :D
Maybe get the passive CS model and use 1 channel of an old receiver to power for the short term until you can afford a better amp.
A relative or friend looking to buy dvd player and maybe a cable or two should gobble that pretty quickly.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Yeah, sooner or later when I have enough money I will buy a powered SVS sub, but right now I cant afford even a passive one. I would have to sell whatever I bought with my credit at big loss(if I sell it locally I would have to sell it at least $75 cheaper than what I paid in order to get somebody to answer my add, getting them to buy it is another story-if I go to ebay I have to deal with the wholesalers who sell their stuff new MUCH cheaper than what I paid locally-not to mention most local people by now also know that so in order for me to move it I would have to go down to wholesaler levels which would really kill me). Then there is the matter of buying an amp to power the sub-even more $. Right now I cant afford one-dont get me wrong I would like one, but right now its not in the cards. This weekend I will check out the above mentioned subs & pick one. Thanks for your input

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Well i picked up a CHT-12 today. I was looking to get the Infinity Interlude 10inch, but they were out of stock so I bought the Velodyne. So far so good. Anybody know if there are some test signals I can download & burn to a cdr for setting my sub up?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks