Help me pick a new DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor H, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Hi all, I am getting a new DVD player through extended warranty to replace my defective one, it's been 2 years since I have paid much attention to player models so I need some help in picking a new one. I can choose from models by Sony, Denon, Hitachi, JVC, Panasonic, & Zenith. Should I get one that also plays DVD-audio? Also I am going to be getting a WS HDTV very soon so is a player with prog-scan important, or do most HDTV's do their own prog-scanning now?
    So my question is: If you were in my position, which player would you get?

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well I am seriously considering an RP-82 right now, great price, progressive scan and DVD-a

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Trevor, what is your budget, preferably in US dollars? [​IMG] The 'RP82 is an excellent value. It does not show the chroma bug and it does DVD-Audio. The Pioneer DV-656A progressive-scan DVD-Audio player is even cheaper, but it may show the chroma bug, as Pioneer players generally do. If you can spend more, consider the Denon DVD-1600 (around $500 USD). It is does not display the chroma bug and it does DVD-Audio. On the SACD side, consider the Sony DVP-NS755V. I believe it shows the chroma bug, but I don't know if it is severe. For more on these DVD players and others, go to www.crutchfield.com . Best of luck.

4. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Pioneer isn't an option because the store that I have to get it from doesn't carry them.
    Budget won't be much of a problem because my ext-warranty will foot most of the bill [​IMG]

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Progressive scan on dvd players is not an equal playing field. Some do it better than others. I had a question on this in another thread but since I'm here, what players do better progressive scan?

6. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Thats a good question Neil, I would like to know also.

Now this may seem like a stupid question but like I said before I haven't paid any attention to players lately, so what exactly is a "chroma bug" ?

7. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Thanks for the link. Rather than spend the US$3400 on that DVD player that does not exhibit the croma bug, I may just hang onto my old player and do interlaced component (doubling at the projector) until HD-DVD comes along.

9. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

A few more questions:

1) does the Panasonic RP62 show the chroma-bug?

2) what about the Panasonic DMR-E30 is it a good recorder/player and does it show the chroma-bug?

3) which players have bass management for DVD-A?

4) on players that don't have DVD-A bass management such as the Panasonic RP82, what is the subwoofer crossover point 80Hz ?

10. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Trevor,
    No Panasonic player shows the chroma bug AFAIK. I have seen the bug many times on Toshiba and Pioneer players but never on a Panasonic. I know for a fact that the rp56 and rp62 don't have the bug. I have the 56 and my friend has the 62. Neither have the bug.

11. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

The Panasonic seems to be your best bet. I use the RP91 and its Panasonic's best DVD player right now. Check it out as well as the other Panny's

12. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

A few more questions,

-What kind of DVD-A Bass Management does the Denon DVD-1600 have?

-Is the Denon DVD-900 chroma-bug free ?

-Does the Panasonic DVD-RP91 have DVD-A Bass Management and if so what kind?

13. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

I chose the JVC-SA600. Progressive with DVD-Audio. It has a very nice picture connected to my 65"WD Toshiba. No chroma bug. I picked up mine for $209. Very happy with its performance.