What's new

Help me name this virtually unknown tv show... (1 Viewer)

Chris^B

Auditioning
I remember very few details about it. I was just sitting here thinking about some really good shows that lasted so incredibly short and it came to mind. I REALLY liked it and would like to atleast know what it was called. Alright, here's what I know...

I think it started around the time X-Files became somewhat popular. It was very similar in many ways except that the show was based in the mid or late 1960's. The governmental conpiracies and aliens were all there, but they were tied in closely with historical events such as the Kennedy and King assasinations, etc. I believe it may have aired on NBC. I have no idea who was in it or anything else for that matter.

It's not much to go off, but I'm hoping someone out there knows what I'm talking about. It's a definate add to my "shows that will never make it to DVD" list.

Thanks in advance.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Dark Skies, starring Eric Close, Megan Ward, and the late great J.T. Walsh. I, personally, liked its Grand Unified Conspiracy Theory much more than that of The X-Files.

Chris^B

Auditioning
sweet! Thank you so incredibly much!

Give this man a cookie!

Now I just have to find a way to watch it again... I don't remember much about it other than that I liked it.

John Watson

Screenwriter
It didn't last long, and I wonder if it came to a conclusion (any more than XFiles did:D)?

Have we not heard about it coming to DVD in discussions around here?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Dark Skies lasted ~20 episodes, with no definitive conclusion, although it didn't exactly end on a cliffhanger (they probably could have retrofitted it as one if J.T. Walsh had decided to return from the second season, but I figured Bach was pretty much dead). The writer/producers were trying to get it picked up by Showtime, Sci-Fi Channel or UPN because it apparently did really well in foreign markets - I heard at the time that it actually was more popular than The X-Files in some countries - but no-one picked it up.

That's one of the reasons I think it may actually get a DVD release someday - that and Columbia having shown a willingness to put short-run series out.

Chris^B

Auditioning
I wish I would have known this before I voted on the recent Columbia poll. I selected Diff'rent Strokes because I'd really like to see that on DVD too, but had I known this show was on there, I would've definately picked it first.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, Jeri Ryan doing her Emma Peel impression, no less. With a Russian accent. Kinda sorta. It was interesting that her character, Juliet, brought heat into the series that co-star Megan Ward couldn't - I learned recently when Ward guested on Eric Close's current series, Without a Trace, that Close and Ward didn't like each other. That would explain why their relationship - which should have been centerstage in the series - seemed so flat.

There was apparently a 5-year arc planned for the series, very ambitious, but the ratings didn't pan out. The finale, Bloodlines, was supposed to tie everything together but leave the door open for another season if they got lucky. I had liked the show up to that point, but found the finale to be pretty disjointed and not terribly plausible.

The series shows up on SciFi periodically. It's worth it just to see Donnie Most play Timothy Leary ...

RobertW

Supporting Actor
the two hour pilot gets shown on one of the cable channels, encore or starz or something, fairly frequently.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
I liked this show also. One of the things that I enjoyed most about it was the way they captured the look and feel of the 60's. It does show up on some of the non premium cable channels from time to time. And when it does, I try to catch a few epis just for fun.

Deborah

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

Hmm. McKenna, Dark Skies, Magnificent 7, Now and Again. There may be more - he did a pilot that was finally shown recently, but was never picked up. Taken doesn't count, since that was intended as limited.

I was frankly shocked when Without a Trace got picked up for a second season - it's one of my favorite shows, but then again, I really liked Dark Skies, Mag7, and Now and Again. I appreciate the fact that it's been allowed to build an audience, although I suspect the Bruckheimer name had something to do with CBS's patience. :>

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks