What's new

Help Me....I've listed 5 receivers (1 Viewer)

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
Can't believe it's been 5 years since I've been on

guess I've been enjoying my room too much

starting a new one, in a different home, in a different state

to see the old one, type into the search box:

It's finished

that will take you to my construction and final pics

anyway......

I've narrowed my search down to 4 receivers

I see lots of you are Onkyo fans but that's not a choice only because of what I read about heat build up

this is going in a fairly small closet

I may end out venting thru the attic anyway, so then it wouldn't be a factor

but in the mean time no to Onkyo

not looking for bells and whistles (ipod, sirius hookups) so I'm at mid to lower range

Yamaha RX-V665

Yamaha RX-V765 (only dif I see really is wattage, between these 2 so why not the 665)

Pioneer VSX-1019 AH-K

Denon AVR 1910....my old receiver is a Denon

Sony STR-DN1010

Thanks,

Ed

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you were looking at bells and whistles then I'd look at the Pioneer and Yamaha. But people around here really like Audyssey so Denon would probably be the choice for the best perfomance.

Don't even bother to look at the wattage ratings of these receivers. They will all be sufficient. Except maybe the Sony.

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Gene

I do like my old Denon (AVR-3803). It's held up for me all these years. And yes, the manual was hard to follow, but once set up it's a no brainer.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Of the bunch listed, the Denon is probably the better choice.

Of the Yamaha's, look at then new line of RX-Vx67 (instead of the x65).

I'd stay away from the Pioneer. I can't understand how the 1019 can be listed at 120wpc weighing in at only 19lbs! when the Elite VSX-30 is rated at 80wpc and weighs 3 lbs more... creative advertising for cheap bells and whistles.

The H/K AVR 2600 would be another interesting choice.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 1018 and previous Pioneer 10xx models were based on the low-end Pioneer Elite model. As an example, the Pioneer 1014 was based on the Elite 52tx. Starting with the 1019 it was based on the lesser 919. And, of course, the amp section took the biggest hit. But as long as he doesn't have power hungry speakers or a very large room the 1019 should still be at least "adequate". I'd still opt for the Denon, though. Or the H/K, but it wasn't on his list .

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
A friend recently picked up the Yamaha 765, and is quite happy with it. I personally have been sold on the Pioneer line for some time and would at your price point, choose the Pioneer 1120. Yes, it has a few bells and whistles, but more importantly, a video scaler that scales anything connected to it to 1080P.

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
I have the Yamaha 765. All-in-all I'm quite pleased with it. It performs well in pretty much every situation. I just think it has way too many features to my liking. Next time I'm going to put my money into more watts instead (I'll probably go NAD). Features mean circuits and circuits mean sound degradation. But you wont go wrong with Yamaha if you want a little bit of everything, imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks