What's new

Help Me Evaluate Amplifier "Opportunities" as a Result of PioneerElite 47TX shutdowns (1 Viewer)

Cliffk

Agent
Looking for some help here. I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX receiver mated with Atlantic Technology's System 350. It has been shutting down at moderately aggressive volume levels. As suggested on other threads here, I've tried changing out speakers, etc. and it doesn't matter - the thing still shuts down. I talked with Atl. Tech today, and the techs there confirmed my suspicions - the system presents an average 4 ohm load to the amp.

I've had my unit long enough that the dealer can't take it back and I don't think it's a warranty repair issue - the 47TX is functioning exactly as it's designed to which is to say it won't drive 4 ohm speakers. Since the dealer won't take it back, they've offered me the opportunity to buy amps at their cost. So here are my amp "opportunities" I'm evaluating:

New Adcom GFA7607 - 7 x 125 watts amp ($873.00)

ATI 1505 & ATI 1502 - 5 x 150 & 2 x 150 watts amps - ($1,377 for both)

Sunfire Cinema Grand Series II - 5 x 225 watts amp - ($1,137)
(would use the 47TX to drive the rear surrounds)

What do you guys think? I would love to spend only $873, but I'm not sure about Adcom amps. Are they in the same league as ATI, Parasound, and Rotel? How big of a step up would the Sunfire be? The drawbacks to powering my rear centers with the Pioneer?

All comments and help are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cliff

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Cliff:

The Adcom's are excellent and you should have no problem with them. The interesting thing here is that you could bi-amp with the Pioneer on each channel with the adcom.

The Adcom could drive thee low freq's and the Pioneer the upper which should present no problem for the Pioneer.

I'd like to know what's going on with this shutdown issue. My 45 tx has no problem at any volume level.

I'd think the 47 would be up to anything.

Mike

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I've used the ATI 1505 with Elite stuff. They were older models ( vsx97 and sp99d) and it seemed to compliment the Elite sound which I characterize as warm. I think the ATI is a little more bright, but it seemed a good balance. I am now using the Anthem Avm 20 which is a cleaner sonic window and after some getting used to, I still like the sound with the ATI. I don't hear any siblance or harshness. I am running Paradigms and I think the Atlantics might be a bit brighter so I don't know.
I guess what I'm saying is that I like the sound of the ATI with both brands, but it does lean on the bright side of things.

Man! What the heck did I just say...?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
That Sunfire TG will put out 1300watts into 4 ohms. Be carefull!

I started a thread regarding the Outlaw 770 and got quite a few good comments on it. I have since figured out that the Anthem PVA-7 amp that I borrowed from a local A/V shop is meeting me needs just fine. 140watts x 7ch @ 4ohms nominal. No problems other than my fat fingers! Once my NIB amp shows up it will cost me around $1350, a good price as far as I'm concerned.

Yogi

Screenwriter
You should be fine with either. Like pointed out earlier the ATI could be a tad bright but its a beast. The Adcoms are also a tad bright for my ears too but are good overall. The Sunfire amps I never really liked. You have to crank em up to open their sound. At low volumes they just sound muffled to my ears but it could be the wax buildup:) If it were me I would just go with the Adcom and use the rest of the $$$ to buy DVDs.

JoelDenton

Auditioning
Cliff,

I can't make any recommendations on an amp, but I'm surprised at your results with the 47TX. I've had the Atlantic 350's for 5 years, driven with 2 different Pioneer Elite receivers, the original 07TX and now a 36TX. I've never had problems with the amps and I listen to most movies at reference levels, both these amps are rated at a lower power than your 47TX too. Sooo, I wonder if you have a defective unit? Either way, getting a seperate amp at dealer cost sounds like a good deal.

Joel

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
I can't make any recommendations on an amp, but I'm surprised at your results with the 47TX. I've had the Atlantic 350's for 5 years, driven with 2 different Pioneer Elite receivers, the original 07TX and now a 36TX. I've never had problems with the amps and I listen to most movies at reference levels, both these amps are rated at a lower power than your 47TX too.
Based on this poster's experience, it might simply be that your receiver is overheating and tripping the thermal protection circuit. I've had that happen to me when I didn't leave enough room on top of the receiver for ventilation. You can test this by first seeing how hot the receiver is when it shuts down and if its hot, running a fan to blow air over the case and see if the receiver still shuts down at the same volume level.

Cliffk

Agent
Thanks for all the help here, guys.
Frank, thanks for the headsup on the Sunfire amp. The article was interesting, but it sounds like the amp is more of a music lover's amp that will work well for HT. I'm 95% HT, 5% music. I've seen some other negative comments and the different approach of Sunfire kind of has me scared away.
At to my shutdown issues, it's not a heat build up problem. For one thing, in my testing I was able to get the unit to shutdown within 30 sec. of firing it up for the first time on a particular scene in Windtalkers at -5 db (not even reference level of 0 db). Also, I have plenty of clearance and a fan blowing across the unit to boot - here's a pic of my 47TX in my equipment rack: http://rendezvoustheater.tripod.com/equipmentlist.html
Several here have asked about the nature of the Elite shutdown problem, and its all over some of the other forums. Basically, the new Elite line will not drive 4 ohm speakers (as my Atl. Tech. Sys 350 is) - it even says so in the manual and on the back of the receiver by the speaker binding posts. Here are some threads describing the problem:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...n&pagenumber=1
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...Elite+Shutdown
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...rue#Post111794
http://pub106.ezboard.com/faussiedvd...ID=306. topic
Also, I have a new wrinkle on the amp decision. ATI's new line of 7 channel amps will be out at the end of January - their lowest powered one is 180 x 7 into 8 ohms, 260 x 7 into 4 ohms. Retail will be $2,000, but I can get it for about $1,200.
If I went that route, and let's say I could get $1,300 - $1,400 for my Elite (to an 8 ohm speaker owner), is there a pre/pro out there in that same price range that would beat the processing capabilities of the 47TX? Or would I do better to hang on to the 47TX as my pre/pro for another year or two and then buy the latest and greatest pre/pro (with DVI, IEEE 1394, etc.)?
Keep the thoughts coming.
Thanks,
Cliff

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Although my Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX has NOT shut down, it does get quite warm, hell it gets hot! Thats why I'm making the leap to seperates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks