What's new

Help me decide! RSX-1055, Integra 6.3, Outlaw 950/755 Combo or Rotel 1066/1066 Combo (1 Viewer)

HowardGjr

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a "newbie" still looking for a receiver or pre-pro/amp. Suggestions? My original plan was to go with Integra DTR 6.3. However, it's delayed released made me consider some other options. Right now I'm leaning toward the Rotel RSX-1055. I liked the RSP-1066/RMB-1075 combination but I think separates is overkill for my situation.
Room:
1. Irregularly shaped. Approximately 14x14x8.5, carpeted with plaster over wood lathe walls and significant amounts of upholstered furniture. Large Bay window prevents totally darkening room.
Equipment:
1. Gallo Micros (5)
2. Gallo Passive M1 Subwoofer (1) (more like dedicated woofer for Front L/R micros)
3. Gallo Active Subwoofer MPS-150 (1)
4. Sony SCD-222ES (1)
5. Integra 7.2 DPS (1)
6. Outlaw ICBM
7. 32" Sony WEGA TV
8. Dedicated 20 Amp Service.
9. Radio Shack switches for DVD-A and SACD.
Criteria:
1. Reasonably sane remote control interface (WAF)
2. "Good" relatively warm Sound within limitations of small sat/sub system.
3. Relatively low power requirements. I don't listen at high volumes and Gallo's are efficient.
4. AM/FM Tuner
5. Dolby Pro Logic II
6. Adjustable crossovers -- Micros don't do too well with 80 Hz Crossover.
7. Receiver cost < $1500
8. Prepro/Amp/Tuner Cost < $2500
Possible Short Term Upgrade plan: months)
1. Gallo Due' to replace front three micros. Micros get moved with passive sub to reading room.
Medium term Upgrade plan (about 1 Year):
1. Plasma TV -- room not dark enough for projection and too small for RPTV. Need Plasma's to drop in price.
2. New Front (L/C/R) Sound-stage; most likely something in B&W line. The speakers will occupy some of the space vacated by the hated entertainment center.
3. Maybe a new sub...depends on how old sub sounds with new speakers.
Damn...all my posts are way too long. :b

Scott Quick

Agent
Howard,
IMO, its a no brainer IF you're planning on budgeting some more money for upgrading your speakers at in the future. If you could set aside another ~$2000-$3000 for some new speakers in future, I'd definetly go with the Outlaw combo. Its just plain out-of-this-world!! Otherwise, waiting for the integra isn't a bad idea. If you're going with a receiver though, I much prefer Denon's over Onkyo - just something to think about.
HTH,
Scott

HowardGjr

Stunt Coordinator
Chip,
You are correct...I'd need a tuner if I go with the 1066. I have an old Technics tuner that I could press into service.
Scott,
Have you heard the outlaw combo? I'm on the waiting list, but I've been on it for awhile and was starting to lose faith that outlaw will deliver the unit in the near term.
I like the idea of separates because I could use the Sony TA-P9000ES (?) to switch the multichannel audio. I just haven't decided if I should go with the Rotel or Integra Receiver for now and use the receiver as a prepro in future.
BTW...2K speaker budget isn't really the problem. However, to make room for larger speakers, I've got free up some space in the front of the room. To do that, I need a very slim monitor. Unless someone has a better idea, that means plasma and that means $$$ along with all the limitations of plasma.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I would wager that which model is right for you depends partially on your future plans. Right now with the small gallo's seperates is over kill so the Rotel receiver would be a smart choice...that said since you mention moving up to larger speakers the benefits of the seperate amplification might start to weigh in and be a factor to consider. Since you're looking for a warmer sound the Rotel is a wiser choice then the Outlaw...esp since the Rotel can be upgraded (and I know for a fact there are several significant upgrades planned for the fall;) )

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,

Could one speculate that the upgrades will be to both the Rotel 1066 AND the RSX-1055 receiver - or just the 1066?

Thanks !
jack

HowardGjr

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm almost positive that I'll upgrade the speakers in the future...I just don't know how far in the future :D.
What do you think about going with the RSX-1055 for now and using it as a Pre-Pro in the future with off board amplification?
BTW...Have you heard the 1055 yet?
Edited: to fix spelling

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
No I haven't heard the 1095 yet...I'm sure its a very solid receiver and would make a decent pre amp down the line...of course depending on the prices I'd lean towards buying the 1066 now and a cheaper amp for the time being...you can always add a more powerful amp later if you need it....

HowardGjr

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,
What do you think about the RSP-1066 paired with the RMB-1066? That would give me an initial setup with 5 channels at 70W and I could bridge the amp later to provide the front soundstage 3 channels at 150w. In the future if I went with bigger (and/or less efficient) speakers, I'd only have to buy some amplification for the surrounds in the back.
BTW...Nice Web Site. From the pictures, your setup looks great :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks