Help me decide - Panny XP30, RP91, Denon 910 or 1600

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave HW, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Dave HW

Dave HW Extra

Well I'm down to my final choices. Please help - I'm going crazy! Yes, I know that the RP 91 and XP30 are no longer made - but I have found both online for almost the same price.

I have also looked at the new Denon 910. Having looked at some information and talked to a dealer i don't believe its just a repackaged 900. However, I haven't seen any actual reviews yet.

So here's what i think i know. The XP30 has a bit better video than the RP91, which has some more features and superior video.

The Denon 1600 can still be obtained but its a bit more than I want to spend and I don't need DVD-A. My understanding is that the video hardware is the same as the XP30.

BTW, I have a Mits 48311.

So do i get the new Denon (where if I have a problem i can readily exchange) or the XP 30 or RP91, or spring for the Denon 1600.

Whew, its tough to decide!

dave

2. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Actaully maybe I would recommend the Denon 1200 since that replaces the 1600. 1200 has in additino, coaxial out finally, 12-bit decoder on the progressive side and kodak cd support.

I'm thinking about this player myself but it depends. I'm still looking wheater if I should get Philips 963A or the 1200.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If your TV locks in full stretch mode when it receives a progressive signal, the ONLY way to go is the RP91. It will allow you to scale 4:3 formatted discs and non-anamorphic discs to be displayed properly on your display. With any other player (other than a few JVC models with very minimum scaling) the image will be stretched, which w/ 4:3 discs will give you a stretched picture that fills the whole screen, and w/ non-anamorphic widescreen movies will give you a stretched image that still has bars at the top and bottom.

If your TV allows you to scale progressive images and doesn't lock in full stretch mode, I would look at the 1200 and the 910. The newer non-chroma bug Denon players have been getting some high marks among HTFers and others i've spoke with.

W/ the RP91, you're really paying for the scaling feature, you just also happen to get great PQ, very solid build quality, rudimentary DVD-A support, and what is technically still a "Flagship" DVD Player. I'm extremely happy with my RP91, but I do also take advantage of the scaling feature fairly often. It also looks really great in the champaign gold color [​IMG]

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The new JVC models can zoom in properly for displaying non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs for full screen 16:9 display. Also the new Panasonic models (S35,S55) also have zoom for this purpose plus variable zoom control now. All of these for around $100.

5. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

The ONLY Panasonic that SCALES is the RP91, the others have zoom. Scaling = good, Zooming = bad. I recently had a Mitsubishi WS-55511, and currently have an RP91 and an XP30. I find myself using the RP91 on almost everything but Video based stuff. That's where the XP30 shines. I would snag an RP91 before they are gone...

6. John Macri

John Macri Stunt Coordinator

Dave HW:

I went through the same dilemma a couple months back. I ordered an XP30 from Sharper Image over the RP91 for the Fajouda DCDI and superior video (my Tosh 50H82 zooms). But I couldn't handle the silver finish and display (persomal preference only), so I returned it for a Denon 1600. I couldn't be happier with it's performance - a marked improvement over the Panasonic CP67 I had. I've even gotten into DVD-A a little.

Haven't seen any Denon 1200 reviews yet - I'd wait and see how the video performance is before buying...