Help me connect my computer to a reciever

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Pablo Abularach, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Hi,

I just purchase

Reciever: Pioneer VSX-D912K
    Speakers (center, mains, rears): JBL NSP1
    Sub: Sony SA-WX700

I just purchase a new computer, and a audigy 2, and I need to know how to connect the sound card to the reciever.

I have read in different forums a lot of info, in one they say just to connect the a normal 3.5m to a analog RCA cable to the soundcard and the reciever in the digital coaxial conection. But I'm a little worried that the reciever wont be able to decode game formats like EAX or Direct Sound.

So I'm also thinking on going the anolog route, knowing that probably the Pioneer reciever will have better DACs, but that way I could benefit on the game sound formats as dolby digital.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any replies or info you can provide me,
    Pablo Abularach

2. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

The answer lies within. This is from the manual. I take it you don't have one? You can download the manual here.

Basically, connect an audio digital cable from the SPDIF on the sound card to an optical in on the receiver. You'll need an adapter for the soundcard end.

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Shane,

Thanks for helping me, I dont have the card with me, and it is an OEM so I dont think I will recieve any manuals, thanks for the link, I'm downloding it.

I really like to go the analog route, because of DirectSound and EAX formats, and I will lose the ability to use this formats if I send it digital to the reciever. Thats mostly the reason that I didnt go with a high end reciever, because I wont use the DACs or the decoding.

I have being reading in here a lot, and in lot of forums about Audigy2 and going the analog route, and found the following

i found this from the FAQ of the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum eX,
    [​IMG] I believe one of the jacks or outputs has three channels, but I also read a guy had problems connecting it, the sub didnt have a signal doing it analog. One guy suggested to use cable camara to connect it, like this one,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] I wish I could connect it the "9" way. But I fear that the unions will not match, because someone in other forums didnt have a signal in the sub. But this are the cables that I wish to use
    [​IMG]

What do you think about the plugging the two channel cable into the three channels jack? Do you think it will only block the rear channel?

Thanks,
    Abula

4. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

I'm just guessing here, but I think it's going to depend on how the dividers on the plug line up. On the one hand, if you have the plug making contact on two signals I think there might be some problems. On the other hand, you can plug a mono plug into a stereo 2 channel jack with no problem (other than having mono instead of stereo).