What's new

Help me choose my HD monitor (1 Viewer)

Mike_L

Auditioning
Let me start by saying that I followed this board regularly about two years ago, but have been away since.

I'm moving into a new house and need to decide on a monitor. The space I have to work with is 15' wide by 18' deep. I have an early generation Sony DVD player (DVP-S500D) without progressive scan capability and the STR-DA30ES receiver.

I have four Energy C-2 speakers, AC-300 center, and the EXLS-12 subwoofer. I will most likely use two of the C2s for another room, and purchase some smaller surround speakers (either an in-wall, in-ceiling, or low profile wall mounted design).

I live in San Francisco and will have the option of using either AT&T digital cable or DirectTV.

I'm leaning towards a 4:3 display because 75% of the time the TV will be used for regular programming. There is a chance I will be able to configure the room to set up my current 31" set on an adjacent wall in the same room. If this works out, then I will opt for a 16:9 display, and use the 31" for regular TV watching, leaving the 16:9 display for DVDs and HD programming.

My desired budget for the monitor is about $2500, but not to exceed $3000. I plan on making this purchase in February of next year.

Some questions I have are:

1) If I go with a 4:3 display, which models should I look at, and what screen size should I consider?

2) Same question for a 16:9 display.

3) Can anyone comment on the availability of HD programming in SF? If there is a considerable amount of it, I may consider an HD receiver.

4) Will I need to upgrade my current DVD player?

Thanks for any responses,

Mike

Craig

Second Unit
If you go for a 4:3 display make sure it has a 16x9 mode to process anamorphic DVDs correctly. Of course the ideal situation would be to have both your 4:3 TV and a new widescreen for movies.

I'd upgrade to a progressive scan DVD player. There are several good ones in the $200-$450 range. You'll get the benefit of prog scan or course, and you'll also get the advantage of more current technology. The interlaced picture on my Tosh 6200 progressive scan was noticably better than the interlaced picture on my older Tosh 3109, no doubt due to better digital/analog processing and other improvements.

Mike_L

Auditioning
Thanks Craig. Do you know if the Sony HS30 and Hitachi UDX models are still the best choices for 4:3 sets with an enhanced 16:9 mode? (Given my budget.)

I've seen the 53" Sony and 53" Hitachi selling at the local superstores for $2599 and $2499, respectively.

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, I'd take a look at Sony if I was going to purchase a 4:3 display. My choice for wide format would be the Pioneer Elite series. They are slightly above the price range you mentioned but with the Elite series there would be no need for a progressive scan player as the set has a built in line doubler. I was torn between the Sony, especially the new larger tube Sony and the Elite. I decided to go with the Elite and have not been sorry. You can find lots of info on these sets and save quite a bit of cash if you order them online. Thats my two cents worth.

Good luck.

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks