What's new

Help! How do I incorporate my digital cable tv into my HT? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_P

Grip
hey everyone
i just got my digital cable installed and am having a tough time trying to figure out how to connect it to my HT.
currently, i have the box going into the tv via RG-6 coax and then have the tv's red/white audio output going into my receiver (Onkyo txds595). This configuration produces a 'hiss' on some channels... and when i think i have set both the cable's volume and the receiver's volume to eliminate the hiss... i change the channel and sometimes get a 'pop' and usually get really horrible 'scratchiness' when the volume from the cable seems too loud for the receiver.
1) is this the right configuration? (i have yellow/red/white outputs on the cable box)
2) how do i set the volumes on the cable box and the receiver? it seems that there are different optimal settings for different channels, especially HBO vs. CBS/NBC/ABC...
help!!!
thanks!

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
If you only have the red/white/yellow outputs (vs. s-video/digital outputs), then the best way to hook it up is as follows:
For sound, hook red and white audio outs from cable box into audio in on the receiver (either v1, v2, or v3).
For video, it depends. If you want yoru receiver to switch video as well, then plug an RCA video cable from the video out (yellow) on the cable box to the video in on the the same receiver input as you used for sound (again, v1, v2, or v3). Then hook a video cable from monitor out on the receiver to a video input on the tv. This way, you merely select the source on the receiver (v1, v2, or v3) and it will take care of the sound and the video. If youdon't want to have the receiver do video swtriching, merely plug an RCA video from video out on cable box to a video in on the tv.
Any questiosn?
Allan

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
It sounds like you got th connections right to me. i have a couple questions:
What cable company are you using?
What is the make/model of your digital cable box?
What outputs (audio and video) are available?
I ask because I am in Washington, DC and I just got digital cable through Comcast with the DCT2000 Motorola box. My box has only composite video out, and regular analog RCA audio out. I am not impressed right now. It is about $13 more than I was paying for regular cable plus HBO. Now I get about 10 channels unavailble on analog cable, plus 12 HBOs. I have not decided if the "upgrade" is worth the price. Picture quality does not seem better than the analog.
-Chris

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
My digital cable (Cox)uses a S/A 2000 box. It has s-video and a digital coax audio out. So far I only get three channels in 5.1 DD HBO, Showtime, and Starz.
------------------
Image9.gif

Tom&Amy's DVD's

Kevin_P

Grip
i have the motorola DCT2224 with RCN (cable company) here in boston... with no s-video out~! ok, so i'll try using the y/r/w's instead of the RG6.. but that still doesn't address the issue with the volume settings, does it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks