What's new

Help - got my drywall off, need advice on wires and maybe component selection (1 Viewer)

waterski1018

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Cool forum, looks like lots of good input. So in process of tearing up my basement floor and prepping for hardwood, I pulled the bottom 2" of drywall to make sure no water issues were there. Good results. Next, we went to a friends for dinner and to hang out with the kids, and proceeded to watch Cars on his 6 month old entertainment basement, projector, 7.1, 4 subs, etc. That was clearly cool, but well beyond what I can pull off now. So, I am thinking about upgrading a few things, and looking for advise on waht wires to run behind the drywall before I lose my chance... I will add we don't watch an insane amount of TV or movies, so I can't justify a lot of cash on this, but will buy a few things. I am planning to hang my 46" Sony LCD (approx 2 yrs old) on the wall, and run wires to it from behind. I will also run wires for my L, R, and C speakers in the wall. All these will go to a location in the corner of the room where the components will go. I used to be more into this stuff, but got out of touch in the past 10 years. Typically, I use RCA's to connect TV and DVD to the reciever. I will likely get a new reciever, so should I plan to switch to optical audio to get sound back to my receiver when watching broadcast (yes I use an antenna) TV? I will run HDMI for the DVD, likely an extra HDMI, and the component cables for the WII. Acutally, I may run two extra HDMI's in case I get a blu ray and want to keep the DVD recorder there as well. I have also seen some receivers that mention you run everything to them, and then run 1 HDMI to the TV. THis makes me nervous if that doesn't work and I don't have enough cables. I'll run the coax from my antenna to it as well. A few direct questions: My setup will likely include: 1. 46" on the wall 2. New receiver to replace old bottom end pioneer model - advice request later in post. 3. Old Polk audio L & R bookshelf units on polk stands. 6-1/2" driver + passive radiator - sound good enough for me now 4. New center channel to replace old JBL cheapo unit 5. New in ceiling rears - TBD 6. May be a bit later, 1 or 2 subs - TBD My questions for the "team": 1. What is best cable type to get audio from TV to reciever? 2. What kind of wires do you use for the powered subs? Speaker wire or coax? 3. If I run more than 1 sub is L and R on the front wall OK, or would I want somewhere else? 4. Advice on where to buy decent HDMI cables for decent bux. 5. Tips on recievers, I seem to have found a good site for reconditioned Denon models, but also see a "OK" model at costco for under $300 (my budget). I like the 2 year warranty they offer and the remote would be common with my TV. A few links: Denon AVR591: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR591/DENON-AVR-591-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html Denon AVR791: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR791/DENON-AVR-791-7.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html Sony STR D720HP at costco: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11646237&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90607&N=4047273&Mo=20&No=11&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=2190&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav= Also - thoughts on this center channel: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PC350BG/Infinity-PC350-Black-grille.html?tp=189 I hopt this isn't too much to post, but if anything like the other discussion board I spend time on, I'm excited for good feedback. Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. HDMI. If you get an upconverting receiver, you only need 1 wire. Since you use your antenna, do you use your TV's internal tuner? If so, you need some way to get the sound back to the TV. If it supports return channel over HDMI, then you are good if your receiver supports it as well. If not, then you need a digital audio cable. Optical or coaxial depending on the TV. 2. Coax. I use RG-6, same thing I use from my antenna. 3. L & R work. I use 2 in the middle, under my center channel. 4. Monoprice.com 5. I'm a fan of Pioneer but Denon is a good brand as well. Don't buy a receiver because of the remote. Get a Harmony as your universal remote. Center - You have Polk speakers, why not get a Polk center?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks