Help - divorce imminent -Speakers my spouse and I can live with-?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Spargo, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Steven Spargo

I just connected my ascend acoustics CBM 170's and the HSU sub woofer. Since my wife gave me the den, she demands final say on the living room. Her eye is set on in wall speakers, while I am pushing for tiny speakers, but not in wall.
    At one point someone rec. Energy -5 , but either I looked up the wrong ones, or they are too expensive. My budget is $200 for a pair.
    Can anyone suggest decent in wall speakers, and then some small speakers that I can mount. We will go and listen , and hopefully live happily ever after!!

2. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Steve,
    I listened to the NHT Superzero recently and liked the sound of them, especially coming from such a small speaker.
    They don't put out any bass though so you would have to sneak a sub in there somewhere.
    Luckily, my wife is very understanding of my addiction.
    Good luck,
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

you should easily be able to find the http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/energytake5/

4. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

wholesaleconnection.com has the Take 5 center and 2 pairs of speakers for $299

5. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

boston acoustics cr65's

6. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I also second the NHTs. Go with the SuperOnes for $50 more if the larger enclosure is not too intrusive. They have acceptable bass output for most without a sub.
    Inwalls never sound as good as external speakers. Go with the box speakers if you can. The Xu versions come in white and I believe include brackets for wall mounting.
    NHT may also have the new Super Audio series out now so you may want to check those out as well.
    Good luck and be sure to stop by your local jeweler beforehand [​IMG]

7. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Couple other options (not sure if they are within the budget) are the Def Tech Pro Cinema 100.6 and the Gallo Micros.

8. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Another option is Infinity,they have some really small speakers with a built on wall mount.They are part of the hts-10 speaker set but can be bought individauly.I had the whole set and for a small room,it was pretty decent.Again,they do not put out any bass but they do a great job on mids and highs
    ------------------

9. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor