What's new

Help Diagnosing Problems on new Hitachi 51S500 (picture included) (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I purchased a Hitachi 51S500 from Sears less than 30 days ago and before the "unconditional" return policy runs out I wanted to run these issues by my fellow HTF members.

Please take a look at this graphic:
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/...13/hitachi.jpg

I made this image real quick to help illustrate some of the possible problems I see on my TV. Keep in mind that this is a representation of what I see with any video signal running to it. The effects are more severe in the graphic then while watching the TV. Not all of these problems are visable at the same time with the exception of the left-hand side of the screen.

* On the left-hand side of the screen from top to bottom a lime green haze shows up and seems to come from the outside of the screen to about an 1 1/2 to the right gradually fading into the rest of the screen. This is always visable but shows up more when viewing video with a light background.

* The other 3 effects on the image, the green "boomerang", and the 2 rainbow striped sections can only be seen if I'm viewing the screen from an angle.

If I walk up to the screen about 2 feet away that's when the top "boomerang" effect appears.

If I'm back at normal viewing distance (10 feet) but either standing up or lying down on the floor outside of the "sweet spot" I can see what can be described as two prizims areas as shown on the picture, one toward the top and one toward the bottom. Nothing seems to affect the middle of the screen.

Are these problems with the set or just something to live with?

This is my first RPTV and I'm not sure what to expect but paying 2 grand for a TV and seeing this stuff doesn't seem right to me.

What do you think?

Any and all opinions and assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Brian, I'd suggest you pick up a copy of Avia and try to calibrate your TV first and foremost. Furthermore, there are plenty of video test patterns on the Avia DVD that will allow you to better see any problems if they exist. Until you've done that, I think it might be hard for you to assess if there's actually anything wrong with your Hitachi. Hitachi sets, especially the S500 sets are generally very reliable and good out-of-the-box, but of course it is possible that you got a lemon.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
That should not be normal. Exchange it and see if it is on the new one, then calibrate with dve or avia. If it is in the 30 days, I say just exchange it.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies.

I neglected to mention in the original post that I have done the basic video adjustments using the AVIA disk. While the picture quality was some-what improved with those adjustments the problems i noted still remained.

This is actually my second Hitachi set from Sears.
The first one was exchanged within a week becuase the delivery guys dinged up the cabinet. I do not remember having these same problems with the first set but I only had it for 3 days so there is a possibility that some of the flaws in the picture were overlooked.

Thanks,
Brian

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Return it and let us know how it goes, and if everything is all good and well with the new set. Hitachi's are usually pretty good with reliability, but as with everything, there are lemons out there.

On a side note, I do not know how or what type of lights you have set up in your room, but turn them all off and see if you still see it.

Let us know how things go.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I apologize for the delay...
The 4th 51S500 TV was delivered about 9 days ago. :rolleyes:The 3rd set had acceptable picture but the delivery guys ripped off a 4 inch half-moon section of the bottom outside cabinet so we immediately asked they deliver another set.

This is becoming a long, drawn-out process to get a Hitachi HDTV that the Sears delivery guys don't bang up getting into my house and that has acceptable picture quality. I can't seem to get to that happy medium where I get a 51S500 with acceptable PQ delivered without the cabinet all dinged up.
It may be possible I'm too picky but I've seen what the picture can look like on one of these sets and I just won't accept a cracked and chipped up TV cabinet for the 2 grand I spent. I called Sears customer service and they want to offer $180 gift card for the damage if I except the "superfical" damage.
I'm starting to lose patience for this situation and considering the fact that a "greater power" doesn't want me to have an awesome big screen HDTV.:frowning:

This 4th set was delieverd without any cabinet damage at all but just the other night I was playing PS2 Madden and the TV just powered off for about 6 seconds and then powered back on by itself. The TV was the only piece of electronic equipment to turn off as my A/V receiver and playstation remained on. This was the only time it's happened but anlong with the mysterious shut off I've noticed that SD cable looks much more pixilated than the prior sets.
So basically my wife and I are considering calling up and having a 5th TV delivered or possibly thinking about scrapping the big screen for right now.

Opinions, suggestions and comments welcome.

Thanks,
Brian

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
If your TV only powered off the one time why return it? See if it happens again, and if it does, just call for service! Why risk another bad elivery? If the PQ is the way you want it, keep the TV and don't risk worse problems.

Stop the insanity!

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
:angry:
well the set just shut off on me a second time the other night. It happened just as I described before with the exception I was doing basic video adjustments with the AVIA disk when the TV powered off/on.

I'm calling Sears again to have them deliver yet another set. I'll try to remember to report back here for an update.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks