What's new

Hellraiser remake prepped by the Weinsteins (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Well, this was a bit unexpected, but it is almost Halloween, so it's news in the spirit of the season I suppose.

http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=17111

Barker to write it is interesting as well, I don't know how to feel about this actually. I love the Hellraiser series, but I'm not sure the original needs to be remade.

However, there are such substantial differences between the first movie and Barker's original novella that a remake could definately be worth it if it uses material from the novella not used before. I'd love to see Frank's first encounter with the Cenobites in the movie as it is depicted in the novella.

The inevitable question of whether Doug Bradley will be brought back in as Pinhead also comes up. Arguably, if it sticks closer to the novella Pinhead would be a much smaller part of the story than he has been in any of the recent movies (well, arguably not the direct-to-video ones, but still).

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
Count me in as excited. A Hellraiser film with Barker writing, a large budget, and today's visual effects and make-up technology. This could be something really special. Count me in. :emoji_thumbsup:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I think I've finally gotten to the point where I'm no longer surprised by these things. My first thought was, "Already? The original's not even 15 years old!", quickly followed by a feeling of indifference and resignation. So, yeah, I guess Barker's involvement makes this one at least a little interesting, and anything's better than the DTV sequels of the last few years. Wonder if Bradley will be returning as the Lead Cenobite aka Pinhead. I'm guessing the Weinsteins would probably want him to since he's somewhat of a cultural icon and could probably sell some tickets. Who knows.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

By today's standards 15 years is a pretty long time between original and remake. These originals were barely out on DVD when the remake was done:

Insomnia 1997 - Insomnia 2002 = 5 years
Infernal Affairs 2002 - The Departed 2006 = 4 years
Open Your Eyes 1997 - Vanilla Sky 2001 = 4 years
Ringu 1998 - The Ring 2002 = 4 years
etc, etc, etc

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Yeah - the recent trend in remake land has been to pillage 4-5 year old films. But that doesn't mean it should be done. So another remake, huh? New stories are out there for anyone interested! You just have to do some work!

I've seen plenty of films that have been made in the 1-2 million dollar range that proves you don't need the huge sums of money being spent to make a clever, creative, and more importantly to the Hollywood types, profitable film. Add another few million for P+A and then use the internet as your friend and you can make money! Remakes are not necessary. Pillage new talent, not old enterprises.

Cheers,

Jason

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

You probably shouldn't count remakes of foreign language (IE: non-english speaking) films as remakes in the same way as this Hellraiser is.

Hellraiser is one of those gem of a films that doesn't really need to be remade. It works fine as it is.

I'm more interested in Rob zombies take on Halloween.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
You could also view this in the same way some view Burton's Chocolate Factory. The original is one adaption of Barker's original novella, so this may be just another take on the same material rather than an actual "remake," there are some substantial character and visual changes between the original movie and the novella.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, that's a good point, Sean.

But if someone made a new, more faithful adaptation of Jaws using that logic, I'm going to be pissed.

:)

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
This I'm excited for. We are cancelling our Hulu subscription, however, the next billing cycle is Oct 18th. So yay for me with the Oct 7th release of Hellraiser. Additionally, it's my half birthday on Oct 7th. Yes, we celebrate half-birthdays in my family! We celebrate everything. My mother always got my a hostess cupcake on Oct 7th. So this year, I'll grab a hostess cupcake and watch the blood spill!

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Once again, we get the awesome artistic decision to change a main male character into a female character and pretend that's a big deal. This leaves another remake open for a cast of color to do the whole thing over again and we're all supposed to pretend it's something new. It's all so tiring at this point. And isn't it time to change the name of the Weinstein Company?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks