What's new

Hello from Down Under (1 Viewer)

mirrorman

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hello, just joined from Australia.

I found this forum while doing some Google reaserch about the star of the TV series Decoy - Beverly Garland.
Started watching the show on Amazon Prime.

Stay safe and keep healthy.

Cheers

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Great to have another of us Aussies on the forum, Michael. I am sure that you will enjoy the time you spend on HTF.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Hi Michael . Welcome !!
I'm wondering , have there been any releases on DVD of classic American TV shows from the fifties or sixties that haven't been released in the US?
The Adventures Of long John Silver which was an early Australian show shot in color comes to mind . Has that been released
"down under "? It's only available here from faded 16 mm prints and only 13 episodes seem to exist here . Since it was produced by an Australian company, I wonder if the masters still exist there.
One of your countrymen , Grahame Stanford has written a number of books about US sitcoms , crime dramas and westerns which he watched on Australian TV back in the sixties. So I know that many US shows aired there .
Stay safe .

mirrorman

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hello Lou, not sure if any early US shows not released in the states have been released here, but I doubt it.

I am not familiar with the show you mentioned - The Adventures Of Long John Silver. I would suggest though that what you have seen will be the only surviving episodes. The TV stations here seemed to have had the same attitude to early TV as the BBC in the UK did , with their now famous deleting / wiping / destroying / throwing away of early Doctor Who episodes.

Yes, we had MANY early American tv shows here on TV.

Adventures in Paradise
77 Sunset Strip
Hawaiin Eye
Gidget
Flying Nun
Highway Patrol
SeaHunt
- a favourite of mine
Bourbon Street
Peter Gunn
Rat Patrol
Have Gun - Will Travel
Wanted Dead or Alive
Cheyene
Sugar Foot
Tales of Texas Rangers
Black Beauty
Gunsmoke
Misson Impossible
To Catch A theif
Mod Squad
Rin Tin Tin
Sgt Preston of the Yukon
M Squad
Dragnet
Dick Van Dyke Show
Monkees
Cannon Ball -
Canadian television series . I think?
The Adventrues of Casey Jones
The Littlest Hobbo -
Naked City
Outer Limits
Twilight Zone
Green Hornet
Combat
The Untouchables
I Spy
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Jet Jackson , the Flying Commando -
I think this was also known as Captain Midnight in the US??

Anyway that is some of them - there a re a LOT more I just don't think of now.

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Hello Lou, not sure if any early US shows not released in the states have been released here, but I doubt it.

I am not familiar with the show you mentioned - The Adventures Of Long John Silver. I would suggest though that what you have seen will be the only surviving episodes. The TV stations here seemed to have had the same attitude to early TV as the BBC in the UK did , with their now famous deleting / wiping / destroying / throwing away of early Doctor Who episodes.

Yes, we had MANY early American tv shows here on TV.

Adventures in Paradise
77 Sunset Strip
Hawaiin Eye
Gidget
Flying Nun
Highway Patrol
SeaHunt
- a favourite of mine
Bourbon Street
Peter Gunn
Rat Patrol
Have Gun - Will Travel
Wanted Dead or Alive
Cheyene
Sugar Foot
Tales of Texas Rangers
Black Beauty
Gunsmoke
Misson Impossible
To Catch A theif
Mod Squad
Rin Tin Tin
Sgt Preston of the Yukon
M Squad
Dragnet
Dick Van Dyke Show
Monkees
Cannon Ball -
The Adventrues of Casey Jones
The Littlest Hobbo -
Naked City
Outer Limits
Twilight Zone
Green Hornet
Combat
The Untouchables
I Spy
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Jet Jackson , the Flying Commando -
I think this was also known as Captain Midnight in the US??

Anyway that is some of them - there a re a LOT more I just don't think of now.

And what about THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR--a masterpiece of a series.THE ADDAMS FAMILY;DR KILDARE ;THE MUNSTERS ;PERRY MASON and numerous others that you have not listed.

mirrorman

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
And what about THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR--a masterpiece of a series.THE ADDAMS FAMILY;DR KILDARE ;THE MUNSTERS ;PERRY MASON and numerous others that you have not listed.

Oh , yes Peter. There were certainly a lot I didn't list, like 12 O'Clock High.

I was just attempting to briefly answer the question asked by LouA.

I'm happy to do a bigger list in another place if you think it helpfull.

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Oh , yes Peter. There were certainly a lot I didn't list, like 12 O'Clock High.

I was just attempting to briefly answer the question asked by LouA.

I'm happy to do a bigger list in another place if you think it helpfull.

Where do you live in Australia? I live in Sydney.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
So, Michael . If you buy US TV programs are they US releases , Australian re issues of US releases , or entirely new versions wit different covers and special features . I recall that the Abbott And Costello Show had different artwork to the US version .

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
So, Michael . If you buy US TV programs are they US releases , Australian re issues of US releases , or entirely new versions wit different covers and special features . I recall that the Abbott And Costello Show had different artwork to the US version .

We suffer in Australia as many blurays do not have the extras that the US discs have. That is why I almost always buy blurays either from the USA;UK or from Yes Asia . We also have a very limited range of blurays available here.I should say VERY,VERY limited range. Very hard to even buy Foreign movies on dvd and even less on bluray.. Many discs are dvd only but are available in the US on bluray.Another reason for buying from the US. The local bluray of 2001 - A SPACE ODYSSEY was only one disc.I bought the US release which was 2 discs, The ROGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN MUSICALS COLLECTION was only 6 discs in Australia so I bought the US release which was 8 discs..None of my friends buy locally and always buy from mostly the USA. I never buy tv series as I only watch them once on TV or by streaming.With movies I can watch them many times. I have over 1000 dvds and blurays in my collection.I recently sold about 800 unwanted dvds and blurays on gumtree-sold them all within 2 days of them being listed

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Welcome Michael - Wondering if you saw my post about Stump the Stars. Beverly Garland was a regular on that series. Episodes can be found on youtube (not all have Beverly)

David H. Gagne

Auditioning
Real Name
David H Gagne
Greetings from Germany! Two of my hunts ended with purchases from the Australian market. I have enjoyed The Beastmaster since I was a child and could only find it in Australia when I purchased it. Also, The Punisher with Dolph Lundgren was only available at the time in the Australian market.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Greetings from Germany! Two of my hunts ended with purchases from the Australian market. I have enjoyed The Beastmaster since I was a child and could only find it in Australia when I purchased it. Also, The Punisher with Dolph Lundgren was only available at the time in the Australian market.

I love Germany and have been there twice. Regarding the PUNISHER- it was filmed entirely in Sydney (I know as I had a small part in it). A pity that there were no deleted scenes on the bluray -of which there were many.

midvalleyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Good to see more Aussies on this Forum - welcome mirrorman!

I live in a small rural town in the Latrobe Valley 160 km east of Melbourne.

I tend to buy most of my Blu Rays and DVD's online because stores are limited here. Sometimes JB HiFi and Cheap as Chips throw out titles very cheaply so I grab them out of interest, not necessarily because I really want them. I have bought several Hitchcock classics on Blu Ray for $5 each.

It's dsappointimg though, as cinemiracle says, that what we get here in Australia is hit and miss. My Blue Ray of the Ten Commandments 1955 has no extras, while the DVD has a whole swag including a commentary. Camelot has multi-channel sound but no directional dialog. The best recent bargain was Cleopatra 1963 for AUD$6.98 - absolutely stunning picture and sound.

The National Film and Sound Archive here has all 26 episodes of Long John Silver but I doubt they will ever be released here on DVD any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks