What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony brings the cult favorite Heavy Metal to UHD Blu-ray in a new and stunning transfer.

Heavy Metal (1981)

Released: 07 Aug 1981
Rated: R
Runtime: 86 min

Director: Gerald Potterton, John Bruno, John Halas
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Fantasy

Cast: Richard Romanus, John Candy, Joe Flaherty
Writer(s): Daniel Goldberg, Len Blum, Dan O'Bannon

Plot: A glowing green orb - which embodies ultimate evil - terrorizes a young girl with an anthology of bizarre and fantastic stories of dark fantasy, eroticism and horror.

IMDB rating: 6.6
MetaScore: 51

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: Dolby...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
At that price. Pass. When it gets down to the $30's then I may pick it up? Just hit Amazon. $34.99. Time to pick it up!

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
At that price. Pass. When it gets down into the $30's then I may pick it up?
It’s in the $30’s now! Todd’s review, like ALL reviews, simply lists the MSRP.

Thanks for the review, Todd. I’m a fan so will be adding this to my collection.’

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am honestly surprised to hear such glowing remarks about the video quality of this release. ( Not doubting the review, just surprised. :) )

I believe I've owned a release of this film in every applicable home video format and there has never been a release that was completely satisfying from a video perspective. Still not UHD capable, so I have to just put this on the wish list. One of these days.

- Walter.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
I am honestly surprised to hear such glowing remarks about the video quality of this release. ( Not doubting the review, just surprised. :) )

I believe I've owned a release of this film in every applicable home video format and there has never been a release that was completely satisfying from a video perspective. Still not UHD capable, so I have to just put this on the wish list. One of these days.

- Walter.

Hey, you could always try what I've done. I bought an inexpensive 4K player that's hooked up to my 1080p TV. You can buy combo sets for future-proofing, and view the 4K disc to be sure it's good.

Rick

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
This is a clear gorgeous upgrade with the exception that the Dolby Atmos track has been futzed with to dilute one of my favorite songs "Blue Lamp" by Stevie Nicks to far back speakers, ruining the whole police station scene by its absence. John Candy's "Den" voice has been lowered, which it didn't need and there are some other totally unneeded audio changes. Thankfully the song remains in the original 2.0 and 5.1 track.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This is a clear gorgeous upgrade with the exception that the Dolby Atmos track has been futzed with to dilute one of my favorite songs "Blue Lamp" by Stevie Nicks to far back speakers, ruining the whole police station scene by its absence. John Candy's "Den" voice has been lowered, which it didn't need and there are some other totally unneeded audio changes. Thankfully the song remains in the original 2.0 and 5.1 track.

I watched this release (I pre-ordered the steelbook immediately) a few weeks back I don't recall this. My recollection is that all of the non-orchestral music was squarely in the front two speakers (with really solid imaging). The orchestral music (which remains one of my favourite scores of all time) was pushed to the height speakers at times. I don't recall Blue Lamp being pushed to the rears, but I'll check tonight. My memory is not what it used to be.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Definitely noticed something funky going on with the music in the Atmos track. Noticed it immediately since I know the film soundtrack so well.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Considering I was never a fan of the 1995 remix (very muddy sounding, probably just the Dolby 2.0 dematrixed and given an aggressive lowpass), the fact that the original 2.0 is here is welcome enough.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I watched this release (I pre-ordered the steelbook immediately) a few weeks back I don't recall this. My recollection is that all of the non-orchestral music was squarely in the front two speakers (with really solid imaging). The orchestral music (which remains one of my favourite scores of all time) was pushed to the height speakers at times. I don't recall Blue Lamp being pushed to the rears, but I'll check tonight. My memory is not what it used to be.
I saw HM opening night and multiple times thereafter at midnight so my favorite part of the film for sheer nostalgic value (and because I love the song) is when "Blue Lamp" starts playing when Harry Canyon shows up at the police station. It creates a vibrant mood totally gone in the Atmos track. I spent HOURS trying to fix my speakers until I realized this was a bad choice to add some "diagetic" sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks