What's new

HDTV - What difference will one year make? (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Hello,

My better half has given approval to replace our current Wega XBR400 as my main television within the next year (currently thinking Christmas 2002).

My budget will probably be under $5k. I'm curious what differences will there be in high-def RPTV's one year from now?

Will native 720p support be more common? Will a universal HD cable be adopted? Will other display technologies put up a better fight against the venerable CRT?

Will there be any changes on the broadcasting side?

I'd like to hear your predictions, opinions, and best guesses.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
With the way HDTV is in such turmoil, it's almost impossible to really give a concrete answer. I don't think you are going to see 720p gain wider support. 1080i seems to be the accepted standard and with only ABC supporting 720p, it doesn't look good. Broadcasters just don't want to pony up the bandwidth.

A universal HD cable? This probably won't happen. Period. Companies do not want anything universal. They don't want any other products to work with their product.

Other technologies against CRT-read the excellent article in Widescreen Review with Sam Runco. CRT might be a "dinosaur" but current technology hasn't been able to overtake it yet. With DLP and DMD making headway, though, things are coming around.

Broadcasting? No Fox. Little NBC and CBS. ABC seems to be the only one who is giving real commitment, save for the satellite providers. I look for HD content to grow, but not by much.

Bruce

DanP

Agent
Just a quick correction on what Bruce just said regarding the Networks. Indeed ABC really stepped up this season, but it's CBS that is the decided leader in Network HD at this point. Not only have all their scripted shows been in HD for 2 years now, but they've also had many many sporting events in HD over the last 2 years.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
A universal HD cable? This probably won't happen. Period. Companies do not want anything universal. They don't want any other products to work with their product.

Really? I thought there was movement in this direction. I remember reading something about Winter CES yeilding new info on this topic. Perhaps I read wrong?

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Camp:
Sili!
I just found out from Ricky that it's you. Now I know where you've been hiding. :)
I see you've become quite the gaming expert, saw your name all over the gaming forums. Nothing like playing on a big screen w/ surround sound. How are you? How's you're audio system? Ever get a pair of 2.9's?
Regarding HD, I think you know where I stand from my various posts. Most agree that premium HD channels will probably get scrambled. My bigger concern is that OTA will get scrambled as well. I know they say they won't, but I don't trust 'em. I hope I'm wrong and that it works out for the best for all HD owners.
STILL no standardized (firewire, DVI) HD inputs on sets (except for a couple Sony models or certain Plasmas)!
Rich B.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Hey Rich!

Never got the 2.9's. Someday though. For now I'm toiling away with my DefTechs.

I kind of got lost over at the DT forums. Things just got a bit too "audiophile" for me. I see a lot of the originals here an at Lexman's hide out (HTGuide).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks