What's new

HDTV Signal to Analog TV Converter? (1 Viewer)

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator
Can anybody tell me if there are converter boxes that will scale down an HDTV signal so it can be viewed (in less quality of course) on a current analog tv? I know they've been talked and suggested as a way to move HDTV adoption along but I have yet to see one.

Our ETV station here is broadcasting in Digital now and they have taken advantage of the capability to offer more than one "feed" on their digital channel with one of them airing high school sports I want to see. They're still going 4:3 on all their programming though, so I figured a converter would be my best bet for a while (and easier on the wallet too ;-))

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
What HD tuner are you using? I can watch HD programing on standard tv with mine. It outputs even thru standard rf.

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator
jeff I don't have an HDTV tuner yet, that's why I was asking. I'd like to buy the necessary hardware to have the capability to view the HDTV feeds on my current TV for a while at least. I mainly want it to get those additional digital feeds for now, and since they're all still in 4:3 format there's no need for an HDTV yet.

what model tuner do you have?

Sorry I'm new to this whole HDTV thing, I didn't know tuners could do that as well.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Are you on satellite? Cable? antenna? I have satellite and use a Hughes E86 box. Anything that is broadcast in true HD is not 4:3. Its all 16x9.

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator
OK I've got the idea now, it appears almost any HDTV tuner does what I'm wanting (which I didn't know, as I said I'm new to this).

You're correct, it isn't true High Definition broadcasts. they're just using digital tv's ability to transmit up to four different feeds, the second of which I'm interested in

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I haven't seen a single ota-only or satellite HD box that would not downconvert HD or SD digital broadcasts for display on an ntsc television set.

I'm pretty sure most HD capable cable boxes will do the same, but have heard of some cable companies that would not provide an HD-capable box to customers who do not have HD-capable displays.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Expecting my HDTV any day, I went ahead and hooked up my HDTV Tuner I bought, and it is really quite great even on my non HD big screen. Better than I expected for sure off of the svideo out. Looks as good as my current DVD stuff.

The audio upgrade is really nice too, a few programs came through in what seemed like DD EX, the other Dolby 2.0.

That aspect button on the remote is a big deal, having to change it for nearly every channel change for best results.

I bought the Zenith HDV420....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks