HDTV Receiver internal scaler/comb filter?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by EmoryS, Aug 10, 2003.

1. EmoryS

EmoryS Extra

Hello,

I am in the market for a HDTV (over-the-air) receiver and was curious to know what sort of internal scaler and comb filters these use.

I know there are numerous makes, models and price points, but after visiting numerous manufactures Web sites, Audio/Visual Forums, Google 'groups', etc. I either get half answers and no information at all. [​IMG]

One reason I am asking is that if one comes with a pretty decent scaler chip and 3D Digital Comb filter and it accepts external components you can use it as a 'poor mans' scaler and you get HDTV as a bonus!

I know going HTPC or a dedicated external scaler along with a HDTV receiver would be the best way to go, but I haven't won the lottery (yet!) so I have to make my pennies count. [​IMG]

Thank-you in advance!

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I don't know of any stbs with external inputs other than cable/antenna RF inputs, so no S-video, composite video or component video inputs. Concievably if a box had both antenna and cable RF inputs (Zenith 520 and Sony HD-200 among DirecTV boxes have both) one could use the box to line double and scale stuff from the RF out on a vcr. I think most OTA only STBs will only receive ATSC signals, not ntsc, so this wouldn't work on them.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I believe your only all-in-one option right now is the Samsung SIR-T165 for circa $500 -- I had briefly considered getting one myself earlier this year. It should do what you ask, but I don't know about the quality of the scaling/linedoubling/comb filter. Also, while it has the various input types, IIRC, it only has one set of them, so you'll probably need an external video switcher (or switching via your receiver). Also, I don't believe the component input handles HD signals, if that matters to you.

Patrick Sun, one of the HTF moderators, owns one and uses it to upconvert DVDs to 1080i for his 4x3 HD RPTV, IIRC. Maybe he'll post a reply (or you might want to PM him for it). OR you could do a search for his posts (and others, if any).

_Man_