What's new

HDMI to Component Conversion? (1 Viewer)

astromusic

Auditioning
Real Name
Kal
Hi, if I have an HDMI output on the DVD player that puts out 1080i, and a projector that can accept 1080i, but only through Component Video (YPbPr) input, is there a box that will convert HDMI to Component? I saw some things on the internet, but looks like there is no such active product right now.

Thanks,

-Kal.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
You'll have a hard time finding a device like that, as that is exactly what the content industry doesn't want. No analog HD signals if they can help it. Some upscaling DVD players were "upgraded" through new firmware to disallow the upscaled signal via component, only possible through DVI with HDCP or HDMI.

Since HDMI already contains HDCP as part of it, a box would have to strip HDCP off of the signal before converting to analog (i.e. component), making it illegal according to the DMCA.

So I highly doubt you'll find such a device, thanks to the content lobby. Sorry!

-Christian

astromusic

Auditioning
Real Name
Kal
Ah, that's why I am having such a tough time! I did find things, but they are all "discontinued" probably because they got threatening lawyer letters from MPAA or whoever.

This really sucks. All I am trying to do is watch DVD's that I OWN (or pay money to rent) on equipment that I own, and these goons are saying "no, can't do that". Makes me want to go download a bunch of DivX movies just to spite them!

-Kal.

astromusic

Auditioning
Real Name
Kal
Hey, just FYI, it looks like there is a DVD player still in the market that can output upscaled DVD through Component - the Helios HD4000. Just thought I would put that in here, if anyone was looking for this capability. I am seriously considering it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks