What's new

Coaxial to HDMI Conversion (1 Viewer)

julmagab

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Moved into a house where the previous owners had a small closed for HT equipment. Surround speakers run from there and incoming cable is there. The problem is how they ran wiring to the other side of the room for the video feed for TV. In the closet there are 3 coaxial cables labeled blue, red and green. Coming out of the wall where the TV would be is are the corresponding component cables. So, in the closet I'd have to go from HDMI to component and component to coaxial. Then for TV I'd have to go from component back to HDMI to plug into TV. I've done some research, and it looks like all those adapters exist. My question is, after going thru all those adapters, will I still get HD quality? Will it cause the picture and sound to be off? The cable across the room is about 60 feet long.

I'd like to just pull an HDMI cable thru, but I don't think it's doable. Any advice would be appreciated.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Yeah, the wiring was probably done back in the day when long HDMI runs were incredibly expensive. Component will get you 1080i, possibly 1080p, but anytime you go from digital to analog and back to digital, you lose a lot. You also run the risk of stripping the HDCP signal, which may cause other issues.

How long is the run from the closet to the TV? Is there accessible attic or ceiling space?

julmagab

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
How long is the run from the closet to the TV? Is there accessible attic or ceiling space?[/QUOTE]

It's about 25-30 feet across the room, but I can't get access to the tops of the walls, they're covered.

Was also looking at wireless options. Curious how reliable that is.

Thanks for reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks