What's new

HDMI 1.3 announcement...I dont get it (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You are confusing finalization of the HDMI 1.3 spec. with a firmware update for the the Toshiba HD DVD players. Firmware update is 1.4, but has nothing to do with implementation of HDMI 1.3 hardware on Toshiba players. Implementation of HDMI 1.3 connectors will require repurchasing both HD DVD and BD players.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to decide if the proper response to this would be?

But if there truly is a hdmi 1.4, and the number does not refer to a simple, run of the mill firmware upgrade for a specific Toshiba product, then perhaps you might be so kind as to enlighten us of the contents of thsi new standard.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
ok..so if i understand this, there is a big dif between a firmware upgrade of 1.4 and a HDMI spec of 1.3.

Why would that require new players, since both have been - apparently at least - confirmed to be nothing more, really, than some kind of glorified PCs. Would it not suffice to simply swap out a part and insert a new one? Geez....they can do it on space shuttles and F18's...but not on a PC/DVD player?

In other words, HD-DVD and BD first gen players are already obsolete.

TedD

Supporting Actor
In order for something to be obsolete, doesn't there have to be hardware shipping and available for purchase by the consumer with the newer level of widget?

Maybe in six months, that statement that the current players are obsolete can be considered to be fact.

One other thing: Exactly what do you expect to be able to plug this newfangled HDMI 1.3 equipped player / game console into that understands and can speak 1.3? If all the 1.3 chips are spoken for by Sony for the PS3, where are the makers of recievers and displays/projectors going to get their chips from?

Ted

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Now that they have finalized the spec it is a given that in six months to a year products are going to start showing up with the 1.3 spec incorporated. For all intents and purposes the first round of these players can be considered obsolete. That doesn't make them unusable. It just means a person will have to shell out another 500 to a 1000 dollars for another machine if they want all the latest bells and whistles: like Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD support.

I suspect that some of these chips are going to find their way into SONY's TV and audio products fairly soon. Why bother installing the chipsets into the PS3 if plans are not already in place to start incorporating them into other products within a short time frame?

Anyway, for myself, I don't expect to plug a 1.3 equipped player into any other piece of 1.3 equipped audio/visual equipment any time soon. Like I said earlier, I just want to buy one good piece of equipment that supports all of the audio and video codecs, so I can use it when I do upgrade my audio/video chain. I do not want to pay 700 to a 1000 on a player, just so I can pay 700 to a 1000 six months later, and 700 to a 1000 six months after that. I cannot afford that game. I'm not a lawyer, a doctor, a CEO, or a drug dealer.

Terry-A

Agent
Real Name
Terry Anderson
so if i buy a PS3 with HDMI 1.3 in order to get the full value of 1.3 i have to buy a new reciever or a new HDTV....hahahaaaaa i dont think so....even if the HDTV has HDMI 1.3 did you ever try watching a movie thru your TV speakers.....

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
For awhile, I was hung up on the idea that these players arent the real meal deal becuase they wont pass 1080p, unril I understood the difference is impercetible to the human eye.

I wonder....will the difference between Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD be an issue in terms of the audio expereince? To be sure; I have the Denon 2803 and have a dedicated HT room and am sometimes in awe of the DTS-ES or DD-EX listening experience.

It also sounds like that to take true advantage of the HDMI 1.3 spec, one has to buy all new toys....and given I have the above Denon, with Paradigm Monitor 5s, ADP 170s, CC350, PS1200 sub and a 2005 Sony Grand Wega with HDMI input, I wonder how pronouned the dif will be for me to get HD-DVD and not have the HDMI 1.3 spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks