What's new
World Wide Stereo

HD-XA2 or HD-A35 (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
I've been thinking of going neutral and buying an HD player. I see that many folks here seem to prefer the Toshiba line which prompts this query:

HD-XA2 vs. HD-A35

Price differences aside, is one a better performer than the other; any advantages/disadvantages between the two?

About ready to buy the Denon DVD-3800BDCI blu-ray player (currently using a Sony S300).

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The XA2 has the Reon chip for upconversion of SD DVD and more menu options for upconversion. It is supposedly the best upconverter out there. Both the A35 and the XA2 bitstream HD audio to a decoding receiver (XA2 requires a firmware upgrade to do it). The XA2 seems to be a little less finicky about playing scratched or dirty disks. That's about it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've owned the XA2 since last January and had very little trouble with it while others have stated that otherwise. I found the picture quality excellent and ever since the firmware update, the player allows lossless audio through the bitstream.

Crawdaddy

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
have owned the xa2 since it came out and never had any problems whatsoever with it ....upscaling of sd dvd is excellent......:emoji_thumbsup:

Super_E

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Eizenga
I own the A35 and really love it. I also have the XA1 (not XA2)... The A35 is really great and at $100 less than the XA2 it is essentially the same (obviously it is missing the Reon Chipset) The chipset in it is Ancor Bay (no not the movie studio) but is really is nice!

Cheers

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Supposedly one can upgrade some HD DVD players with Australian firmware versions that will remove SD DVD region restrictions from the player. Reading various Internet forums would lead me to believe this can be applied to at least some European models as well as Australian.

Seems to me it's only a matter of time before region-free SD DVD watching will be available on most HD DVD hardware, hacked if not out-of-the-box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks