What's new

HD on a Toshiba 51H83 (1 Viewer)

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Just a quick question.
I finally got to enjoy some HD programming on my new Toshiba 51H83 tonight, and a few 'problems' stood out.
My source is a Scientific Atlanta HD decoder with Rogers cable. I watched Law and Order SVU and The Practice tonight, and every 10 mins or so the screen would flash black (audio stayed on) and during the practice I got 'digital like' small squares that popped up on the screen quite regularly.
Everything else looked spectacular, does anyone know what this could be?
since I just got the box, I am still using the cheap component cables that came with it, but I do plan to upgrade those as soon as I have a chance this week... is there any chance that is the problem?
thanks!
mike

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The digital breakup is most likely a problem on the broadcast end. If the signal is weak, it will breakup and freeze or pixelate. Call your provider and let them know, they may be able to adjust something.

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
Have you tried OTA reception if you have the capability?

How far from the HE (head end) are you?

How noisy is your analog cable pix?

Ask for another cable box. Have them check for signal strength AND C/N ratio (can't be done with a signal level meter).

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
No OTA reception here yet... :frowning:

I'm not sure how far away I am from the HE, but analog cable pix are pretty good (very little noise).

I'll call them today and get them to check it out.

thx a ton!
Mike

Luke_Lemmings

Stunt Coordinator
I got the same problems sometimes with Rogers.

It's just signal strength.

It doesn't happen too often for me so I don't worry about it. If you're experiancing it every 10 min I would get it checked out.

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
Carrier to noise ratio.

You can have ample signal say 5-10dbi, but if the C/N ratio is poor the pic still will be noisy. It happens the further out you go from the H/E. The more amps the more noise. I'm 10 or 11 trunk amps out. The system I'm on use to go out to between 45 and 50 amps. Way to many. Don't know about now.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Can they do these tests from their end, or do they have to come out? I called them today and they said communication and signal strength seemed fine....
tonight I had hardly any digital pixilization, but I did get the short black screen flash every 15 or 20 mins.... mostly during commercials, but about twice during Law and Order...

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
From the pole. You don't have to be there.
I would insist of that if you still are having problems.

Nag them.... Tell them you want the C/N ratio checked and you want to know what it is on the lowest channel and the highest! Tell them you know you can have a high signal, but that doesn't mean the C/N ratio is good or not.

That will piss them off and impress the engineering types since they assume the subscriber doesn't know jack about RF signals!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks