What's new

HD DVD Players? (1 Viewer)

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
I have an ancient Pioneer dvd player and I DESPERATELY need to upgrade to a progressive scan player for my Mitsu tv.

Anyway, I've heard so many great things about the Panasonic RP-81 and CP-72 that I'm leaning in that direction. BUT - with the issue of DVD-Audio vs SACD and with the potential of HD DVD on the horizon, would it be better to wait and see what happens or spend the money now on a dvd player with Progressive scan and DVD-audio? I've looked around and I haven't found a lot of info on HD DVD, but it sounds like it may still be a ways away until an affordable unit is available. Does anyone have any advise for me on this?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Until an affordable unit is available? How about any unit being available? HD-DVD is not even close to coming to market yet. The DVD Forum has not even decided on a set of specifications. Some manufacturers want to go the route of the Blu-ray disc, while one of the sudios, Warner, wants the DVD Forum to go with MPEG-4 red-laser technology (not good; overly compressed—D-VHS D-Theater is better).

So, in short, upgrade to a prog-scan player now.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Considering the dvd players have become commodity items, Jack is right. You can pick up a good progressive scan player for under $180. Like with PC computing, it is best to buy what you can definitely use (or require) now and not either buy something with features you'll never use or continually wait for "that next big feature" to come out. There will always be a next big feature on the horizon. So, if you can benefit from progressive scan now, I say go for it. :)
good luck,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks