What's new

HD DVD: American Gangster (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
DVD Pacific have a listing for February 19th!

Thought I'd give some good news.

Smiles.

ps. watched this at the cinema last night. Left frame was not masked. Sound was stereo only. Door was left open. And air-con was too cold. Projection was flickering.
Things I have to do to keep the Denzel loving GF happy.

At least she keeps her feet on me at the HT (taking up the whole couch lying down), lol.

Me, "Honey...Warner did...".
Her, "So? Just get the BR as well!"

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Actually, that would be the release date for a Sony Pictures DVD release of a 1992, 42 min film, called 'American Gangster'. There have been no, official or un-official, announcements of a release date, for the 2007 film 'American Gangster'.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Sorry, my mistake. But I am still wondering whether 'DVD Pacific' is not making the smae mistake of confusing the two titles. To the best of my knowledge there has been no official announcement of the release date for the DVD and certainly none for the HD-DVD.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I think Sanjay's point is that DVD Pacific *might* be wrong with that February release date for AG. I, for one, certainly hope they are right because I am very much looking forward to this release. But DVD Pacific is the only retailer listing a release date and they've had that February date up for several weeks. How they "know" this while none of the other retailers know it is a mystery!

Mark

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Official info:

DVD Times - American Gangster (US HD DVD) in February

"Arriving day-and-date, this HD DVD Combo release features the Theatrical Cut (2hrs 38mins) on the HD DVD side with Picture in Picture, while the DVD side of the disc includes both the Theatrical and Unrated Extended (2hrs 57mins) cuts.

Side A: HD DVD – Theatrical Cut
1080P 1.85:1 Widescreen
English and French Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 Surround
English SDH and French subtitles
Alternate Opening
Deleted Scenes
Uncovering the Past: The Real Frank Lucas and Richie Roberts
Feature Commentary with director Ridley Scott and writer Steven Zaillian
Picture in Picture

Side B: DVD – Theatrical & Unrated Extended Cuts
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
French DD5.1 Surround (Theatrical Cut only)
English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
Commentary with Director Ridley Scott and Writer Steven Zaillian (Theatrical Cut only)"

This is one "combo"-release that I have to buy. Both versions on the same disc (like with "Miami Vice") is good news IMO. Kinda surprising that the "Unrated"-version is not in 1080p (which is "bad news" to many, I´m sure..)

edit: It seems, that not all of the extras from the SD DVD 3-disc set are included:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66769
Too bad..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wished Universal did what Paramount had done with "Zodiac" and delay this release so that it's done right with both versions being in HD. However, I bet the discs have already been made on this release since the release date is only 34/35 days away.

Crawdaddy

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Ka-ching.

Shall I double down now?

Look out for more HD DVD new releases in the next few days...

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I wish Universal had gone the extra mile to a 2-disc set and incorporated both cuts in HD, along with the extras from the SD sets.

It might be worth waiting to see what comes out in the UK, where they don't do combos. This was a must-buy for me, but now I think I'll just rent it and see what happens.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Very disappointing. If u buy the HD-DVD Combo, then 1) it's a combo. 2) it doesn't contain all the extras that the special edition DVD has. 3) The unrated version is on the DVD side only.

Very, very lame.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You know, I liked this movie, but I can't honestly say that it needs another twenty minutes. Sure, on principle they should have both versions in HD, but I don't think that would make me pick it up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are you saying that you don't like the movie well enough to pick it up on HD DVD? Personally, I prefer Universal to do what Paramount is doing with Beowulf in releasing the Director's Cut on HD DVD. More and more it's becoming obvious to me that the directors are releasing versions of their films that they're not entirely happy with, but edit them for the most showings per day at theaters.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Oh for Fuck sake.

Thanks Universal!! This makes my decision to rent this instead of a blind buy that much easier.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Eh, I enjoyed it once, but don't need to own it. I do know that when I came out of the theater liking it but not loving it, I didn't feel like anything was left out. Also, the difference between a 2:40 and a 3:00 movie generally isn't going to add an extra screening.

Honestly, I kind of think that these extended cuts are usually more marketing tool than chance for the director to bring out his true vision ("it's not quite the same movie you saw two months ago, so pay for it again!"). This one may be different, but was Ridley Scott talking about how much they'd had to cut out or any dissatisfaction back in October?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks