What's new

Having trouble with my linksys router at home... (1 Viewer)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hello

I am currently using Optimum online as my broadband at home in the Bronx, and am satisfied with the service. However, I cannot seem to use my linksys router with the modem since this Monday. Does anyone know if they have changed their policies on routers and specifically block routers?

This is how I set up the connection.

1. Make sure all power from all computers are OFF, Router is off, Cable modem power is unplugged. All cabling is connected.

2. Turn on cable modem, and check to see that the modem's cable light is steady and NOT blinking.

3. Connect the power to the router.

4. Turn on each machine one by one to receibe an address from the router.

I have repeated this several times, and it hasn't worked...

Can anyone help?

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
They wouldn't "block" a router, can't really do that, they'd have to turn off your service.
I have Optimum Online myself. As far as I know they haven't changed a thing (at least in my area).
Ok, so a few things:
1) You DO have a solid link status light, correct?
2) It was up and running fine previously with the router, correct?
3) Are there other machines on the network? Or is this a single computer through the router? Which router specifically is it? (model#)
4) I have noticed my IP has recently changed (should not effect you're connection). In addition I believe they changed some of their DNS servers. Depending on how you have TCP/IP set up on your computer this might have some effect, but shouldn't.
5) Can you hit the router from the computer? I mean can you pull up the router's config page through your browser?
5-b) If you cannot pull up that page, can you ping the router?

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Thanks for the help, but it was just plain old stupidity on my part as to why I couldn't connect....

I forgot to attach the router to the modem!

Man do I feel stupid... :b

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
:D
Heh, I've done many many similar and worse things... it's always the simplest solutions that seem to be the most easily overlooked.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Dave:

Does Optimum Online register the modem like they do with the cable boxes? Because all this started on late Monday evening when my cable modem's "Cable" light started to blink. Now for whatever reason, if their record of my modem was erased or altered, I wouldn't have service, would I?

Oh well... I guess all's well that ends well...

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
I do not believe they register the modem, unless it is a commercial account which may be handled differently due to static IPs and such.

By "cable" light do you possibly mean the link status light? Not knowing which modem you have I can't say for sure. On occasion in bad weather, or if someone hits a pole somewhere in the area, I'll lose my link and the light will flash when that happens. Again, not sure if that's what you're referring to.

Also note that you can lose your link to the internet and everything as far as the television signal will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks