What's new

Having trouble hooking up my HTIB setup (1 Viewer)

AaronTE

Auditioning
I just purchased a Yamaha HTR-5380 AV Receiver and speaker setup. I've run into a problem trying to hook my TV up to the receiver. I have a Symphonic WF203 TV that has two of the Yellow White Red connector port things (excuse my ignorance). I see on the receiver where I am suppossed to hook up the cables from the TV output video and audio jacks...but both of those ports on my TV are input. Hooking them up to the receiver obviously doesn't work because I get no sound from the speakers. I also have my DVD player and XBOX hooked up to the receiver and can't get the picture on my TV (but I can get sound for those components).

The receiver has component video ports, and when I hook the TV up to the output component video portion of the receiver and then I hook the XBOX up to the input component video portion I can get the picture but no sound. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the Forum! I think we can get you fixed up here.

I assume you mean a HTR-5830, not 5380 – can’t find the latter on Yamaha’s website.

The connection scheme is the same for all your equipment: Send all audio and video connections to appropriate inputs on the Yamaha. Then you send one video signal from the Yamaha’s “Monitor Out” (yellow) jack to one of the yellow jacks on the TV. Since your TV doesn’t have component video inputs (i.e. the red, green, blue), you’ll have to use the yellow (composite) video connections for all your equipment.

Since the TV has only line inputs, you won’t be able to get TV sound into your system with the equipment you listed. For that you’ll need a cable box or a VCR.

If you haven’t already, make sure your DVD player is connected via a digital audio connection (coaxial or optical), not the red and white jacks.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

AaronTE

Auditioning
Wayne, thanks alot for your help. Xbox is good to go.

Now, one more question. I do have a VCR...I'll have to buy some cables to hook it up. How do I get sound through the TV by hooking up the VCR?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I really suggest, hook all audio and video outputs to the AVR and then video outputs from the AVR to the display.

Others can give input on using the display's speakers. When I install, I don't even give people that option.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You have to use the VCR as a tuner for the TV. Tune the TV to the channel (3 or 4) or the video setting that receives the signal from the VCR. Now switch the VCR's "VCR/TV" switch to "TV". You can now use the tuner in the VCR to choose the channel displayed on the TV. If you have your VCR hooked up to the receiver, the sound should play from your speakers (assuming the receiver is set to "VCR" or whatever inputs you hooked the VCR up to).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks