What's new

Having fun in the snow? (1 Viewer)

Phil_L

Second Unit
We're getting quite a winter blast in New England! I'm under a blanket, watching DVD's, drinking coffee and reading the Sunday paper. BEST DAY EVER! :emoji_thumbsup:
Until it stops snowing and I have to go shovel :thumbsdown:

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
A foot here in Baltimore City. But already it's 40 degrees and melting. Roads are open.

With all the little I-paid-half-a-mil-for-my-rowhouse hipsters out shoveling their street-parked BMWs out, my neighborhood looks like an "Abercrombie & Fitch" ad.

MC

Phil_L

Second Unit
A foot in B-more? I'm surprised anyone has been able to leave their homes.

When I lived down the road in DC, just 2 inches would paralyze the masses.

Where are the half-a-mil townhouses in B-more? When I was in the area, they couldn't give them away. The town certainly has changed, for better or worse.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Oh I'm having loads of fun right now Phil. I just moved half of the arctic from in front of my house. I still have to do the back of my house. Mother nature can blow me. :D :D

Put it simply, there's a shitload of snow out there. Safe guess is about 10-12 inches right now with it still coming down.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
I'm half way between Balto and DC. Got 18" here. Columbia, MD got 21".

After I cleaned off our driveway, Me and the neighborhood kids got into a wicked snowball fight. We then built a ramp at the bottom of our neighborhood hill. Nearly snapped my spine in half my first run down. :)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
We got 22" in Wallingford CT. Been awhile since Ive seen this much snow.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
These little yupsters with their GAP-for-kids-clad babies were out in the city snow today, like it was a trip to the ski chalet... Sheesh. People are paying half-a-mil, happily it seems, for these tiny rowhouses with on-street parking in Baltimore. People will buy anything, I guess. It's the high homicide rate that attracts them.

And now, after a sunny, warm day, it's sort of furrying here. Cloudy, big flakes, but no accumulation. A nice orange city sunset. The city dealt surprisingly well with this foot of snow, tho. Roads are open (tho they are gonna freeze hard tonight).

By Thurs it should be 60 degrees here, according to the forecast. Gotta love global warming!

MC

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I woke up at 7am this morning and saw about 14" of snow outside my house here in Obscuria and thought, cool. I came home from hiking in the catskills on saturday just so I could hopefully get some snow and the snow at 9pm saturday was just sticking to the ground. So I quickly ate breakfast and put on my snowshoes and went on a very very nice snowshoes in the county park in my backyard. Then around 1pm when I got back, I simply shoveled out my car and went over to help my parents clear out. Had the whole park to myself and had fresh snow to play in... nothing better!

Jay

todd s

Senior HTF Member
We had around 10" here on the Jersey shore. Went out in the early afternoon to clear my driveway...After about half done my snowblower died. So time to go retro and use a shovel. Boy, that sucked. :D

I heard in NYC they beat the all time snow amount, even past the blizzard of 1947. :eek:

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
A little over a foot here, I didn't measure. I was dissapointed because I had plans for today that I was looking forward, but ended up spending a lot of time with my wife playing games, doing some baking, and finishing up the income taxes, all while sitting by a warm fire.

So it all worked out, I guess. I expect everything to be back to normal tomorrow, and with the weather in the high 40s all week, most of the snow to be gone by next weekend.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
No.

Last night I experienced two flat tires going over a curb that I could not see. I was dressed in a tux on my way to a benefit for a cycling organization. Had to wait 3.5 hours for the flat bed to pick me up and drop my car at the dealer. Tomorrow I'll find out how much I am going to have to pay. The only positive was that the driver was great and drove me home. Otherwise, I love snow.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Woo! Fellow Walleyworlder here too!

Here are a few shots of my deck. Perhaps I should have pulled the deck furniture in yesterday: :D

p.s. I just plunged the yardstick into that mound on the deck table....13"!!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not a flake in sight here :D (central/northern sections anyway).

We actually had a fair amount of sunshine this afternoon, adding insult to injury for area snow lovers (who were generally promised at least 1 to 3 inches by the local forecasters). ;)

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Send some of that here! In SE Minnesota, I'm looking at my grass, wondering if I might have to mow soon. We have gotton maybe 2" since the first of the year, and all of that has melted away.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Just eyeballing (it was up to my knees), I would say it's at least two feet here in Hartford.

I've never seen this much snow - this is the stuff of legends.

--
H

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
The pictures Joe Fisher and MarkHastings posted could have been taken right where I live... it's just that it's been like that here non-stop for a few months now. And will continue to be, I'm afraid.

Glad to hear people are doing mostly OK in the snow, although I heard on the news some 200,000 people were without electricity for a while; always a concern when so much snow falls at once. I guess I prefer a slow change of seasons, you Americans however have to make a big show out of everything. :D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Marko, well up to saturday night, we really didn't have ANY winter here.. We had some moderate snowfall in early december when it was tecnically Fall and not winter. I think around the first week of december we had about 6-7inches of snow fall in certain places but since then, it's been 40-60degs in many days and a record warm January. Even by the end of the week, the temps are supposed to rise to the upper 40s, low 50s again.

The folks here were just happy that it was on a weekend and not a weekday (except for schoolkids, of course!).

Jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
As someone with a 50 mile commute, I am always glad when it happens on a weekend, so I don't have to use a sick day. :emoji_thumbsup: but now, off to work and to see just how well the plows have done in many towns.

And yes Marko, the same thing in CT as Jay describes, we haven't really had much snow (at least nothing noteworthy), so this one definitely made up for it. And hopefully we won't see any more snow till the end of this year.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
About 15" here on Cape Cod. Snow blew 3 times yesterday just to keep the driveway at a reasonable level (also a new snowblower so I was having fun using it :) ). We had a fun day of the kids and I watching a few back to back episodes of Firefly on dvd but we were bummed because of the high winds so we couldn't build a fire. As soon as we opened the flue, there was a huge downdraft and we knew that the house would be filled with smoke if we started a fire. I couldn't believe the kids lasted that long outside in the blizzard because the winds were 60+ mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks