What's new

Disney's "Make Mine Music" DVD plays zoomed (1 Viewer)

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sanyo FW65R70F TV and a Sony BDP-S360 blu-ray player. When I play Disney's 1946 "Make Mine Music" DVD ("Gold Collection", 2000), it plays zoomed so that it fills the 16:9 screen side to side, and the top and bottom of the picture is cut off.

This problem doesn't happen with other 4:3 DVDs such as Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton movies. I've only seen it with this disc. Again this is a 1946 movie; it should display at 4:3.

I've gone through all the picture settings in the TV and the blu-ray player and I didn't find anything that makes it display right.

As expected, the TV has a stretch setting and a zoom setting. The stretch setting stretches it side to side and cuts off parts of the sides. The Zoom setting zooms even more and cuts of parts of the picture on all four sides. After testing those settings with Make Mine Music I turned them back off.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get it to display right? It's particularly bothersome on the "Peter and the Wolf" chapter, where important parts of the picture are cut off.

UPDATE:

I sampled some more early Disney DVDs and found two more with the same problem:

-- Saludos Amigos (1943, "Gold Collection", 2000)
-- Pinocchio (1940, "Limited Issue", 1999)

But other early Disney DVDs did NOT have the problem, and instead displayed correctly in 4:3 aspect ratio:
-- Peter Pan ("Limited Issue", 1999)
-- Three Caballeros ("Gold Collection")
-- Alice in Wonderland ("Gold Collection")
-- Fun and Fancy Free ("Gold Collection")
-- Melody Time ("Gold Collection")
-- Dumbo ("60th Anniversary Edition")
-- Snow White ("Platinum Edition")

Of course Pinocchio and Saludos Amigos are available in a later and better blu-ray editions. But that 2000 release of Make Mine Music was the only one. And it isn't available for streaming on Disney+.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I found a setting that makes it display right. If I tell the blu-ray player that I have a 4:3 TV, then it displays correctly. I suppose I'll just have to change that setting for these DVDs and change it back for all others. Is there a better way? Again, there has been no later release of Make Mine Music and it's not available for streaming.

Weird that it affects only those DVDS and not other early Disney DVDs of similar vintage.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is it actually zoomed, or is it stretched horizontally? I'm guessing the disc incorrectly has an anamorphic tag, so it's stretching the image as if it was anamorphic.

Maybe you can turn off anamorphic conversion in the player. Or, the 4:3 ratio setting on the TV might fix it.

That might not be it at all, if it's cropping the image.

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
[QUOTEIs it actually zoomed, or is it stretched horizontally?.[/QUOTE]

It's zoomed, not stretched.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If setting the player for a 4:3 TV fixes it, then it IS the anamorphic tag, because setting the player to 4:3 tells it to ignore the tag. It would appear that something else is also playing into it with the TV's settings.

A long, LONG time ago, I came across a couple DVDs that also had an incorrect tag. These discs are most likely bootlegs, and not mastered correctly. It is possible to capture them and alter them with the tag corrected, but going into that is probably a violation of HTF rules, plus it's been so long ago, I can't even recall how to do it.

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, that's interesting.

I'm pretty sure I bought these at DVDExpress, a major online DVD retailer at the time. I used to follow the list of new DVD releases, and I would have bought these as soon as they were available. I would be surprised if they're bootleg. Are there any tell-tale signs I can check for them being bootleg?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Actually, my DVD of Pinnochio has the same issue on both of my TV setups, so I doubt these are bootlegs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It was just a thought. Now that I think about it, I seem to recall some very early DVDs had the tag wrong. That was a different century.

jaydogva

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I have a Sanyo FW65R70F TV and a Sony BDP-S360 blu-ray player. When I play Disney's 1946 "Make Mine Music" DVD ("Gold Collection", 2000), it plays zoomed so that it fills the 16:9 screen side to side, and the top and bottom of the picture is cut off.

This problem doesn't happen with other 4:3 DVDs such as Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton movies. I've only seen it with this disc. Again this is a 1946 movie; it should display at 4:3.

I've gone through all the picture settings in the TV and the blu-ray player and I didn't find anything that makes it display right.

As expected, the TV has a stretch setting and a zoom setting. The stretch setting stretches it side to side and cuts off parts of the sides. The Zoom setting zooms even more and cuts of parts of the picture on all four sides. After testing those settings with Make Mine Music I turned them back off.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get it to display right? It's particularly bothersome on the "Peter and the Wolf" chapter, where important parts of the picture are cut off.

UPDATE:

But other early Disney DVDs did NOT have the problem, and instead displayed correctly in 4:3 aspect ratio:

Of course Pinocchio and Saludos Amigos are available in a later and better blu-ray editions. But that 2000 release of Make Mine Music was the only one. And it isn't available for streaming on Disney+.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I found a setting that makes it display right. If I tell the blu-ray player that I have a 4:3 TV, then it displays correctly. I suppose I'll just have to change that setting for these DVDs and change it back for all others. Is there a better way? Again, there has been no later release of Make Mine Music and it's not available for streaming.

Weird that it affects only those DVDS and not other early Disney DVDs of similar vintage.

Thanks for the info. This was very annoying for me as well. I actually ended up having to set my Blu Ray player to 16x9 FULL to get it to display correctly. I tried 4x3 letterbox. I tried 4x3 pan and scan. I originally had it set on 16 x 9, so Finally last option was to try 16 x 9 full and that worked.

jaydogva

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason

UPDATE:

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I also had to then set the TV, projector in this case, to 4x3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks