What's new

Have You Ever Seen....... (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor
A room shape like this one before?

Room Measurements:

-30 ft deep

-19 ft 5 ¼ wide (widest point)

It is the bonus room over the garage with a back staircase leading down to the den. The room is over 4,200 cubic Sq Ft, which make my bass needs more demanding. The ceiling is shaped differently too, where the couch is the ceiling has almost triangle shape because of the gable over the garage. I have played with every scenario I can think of for speaker placement in this weird room, for the best possible sound.

So you think your room is a peice a work to deal with, you are not alone. Some of you guys have a perfect rectanglar rooms to go nuts with. The next house basement or bust! I posted new pictures to really show how unique it is on my HT link.

Anybody care to share their unique room?

What speaker placement war stories do have?

Feel free to give advice on any improvements i can make in my room. I'm a tweaker maybe i miss something, i'm always looking for little things that can make it better. Who knows i might not be the only bonus room guy out there.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi terence,

You definitely have one good size room to fill there. I remember that little db race we participated in on the other Thread. I had no idea my amp was holding me back until tweaking it a little. Who listens to LOTR at -0 Though? CRAP that was loud.

My room is right next to 3000 CF with one very leaky long wall. A guy needs to throw some heavy artillery at these situations to achieve Reference bass but in my mind it is well worth it.

What happens when you corner load your dual 20-39+'s?

terence

Supporting Actor
Crap i just notice the floor plan did not show up now that i'm on another computer. I will try and fix that.

It became very noticable on certain material that i played, and the room does not absorb bass energy to well. So i separated them and got a more tamed, transparent sound. I even notice more depth, subtleties in subsonic frequencies that i never notice when they were together.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
It keeps asking me if I'd like to accept a certificate, then when I reply "OK" - it then asks for an ID & p/w.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
its asking us for the username and password also. this is because you appear to be posting a link which is inside your web based email service, meaning you can see it because your logged in, we are not logged in to your email account so we dont see it. youll need to post the image publically somewhere, then use the public url.

Johnny

Richard_M

Second Unit
Terence...

You are right about the room...

If it was me I would square up the left & right main speakers, then relocate the subs to either side of the couch, also move the couch forward to line up with the other chairs. Alot depends on how many people you usally have when using the HT.

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Terence

Your room is almost exactly the same floor size as my loft listening room though obviously different in cross section. (I'm going by your "rear surrounds" image of the sofa)

My 45 degree sloping walls almost reach the floor (2' dwarf walls) and the ceiling is only 6 feet wide. I listen at 90 degrees to the roof ridge line. Just as I did in my last house where my listening room was also in the roof space, though much bigger.

After repeated attempts I found listening in line with the ridge was boomy and the sound very confused. I am delighted with my present sound quality. After nearly 20 years of listening in lofts I actually hate the sound of normal box-shaped rooms for sound quality! They always sound 'boxy' to my ears.

My sloping walls and long, triangular cross section room won't allow standing waves. Which makes for an excellent frequency response devoid of peaks and troughs.

I should add that we watch and listen to TV and music over the central open stairwell! There is a banister for safety on our side of the stairwell which doesn't audibly impede the sound quality.

It is also low enough not to be noticed (at all) when we are watching TV. The TV, my two floorstanders and the PCi all sit on a raised platform on the other side of the stairwell. A curtain hides tightly packed storage space behind the speakers. No safety net normally required except when adjustments have to be made!
Lifting the PCi into place from the stairs was great fun! :b (see below)

Interestingly(?) I have the world's best view of a PCi driver in action when I'm halfway down the stairs. I can look comfortably between the bass plate and the driver at eye level.:)

ChrisBee

Http://mysite.freeserve.com/svs_pci_music/index.jhtml

terence

Supporting Actor

Yeah and getting everything in my room was so much fun, i wiah i could do it every weekend. :) The TV weights in @ 300lbs by it self! I had to take the rear stair case door off to get the furniture in the room. For some reason i thought it would be a peice a cake moving everything in the room.

I see you have a unique room too. Got any pictures?

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator

If the subs can't be placed behind you then,

would a passive sub like the B4+ work as a coffe table?

I think if SVS offered the PB1+ as a passive box sub then a pair of these might look cool as a coffe table. You might have trouble explaining why your coffe table has three holes in it though.;)

terence

Supporting Actor
Hi Zack_R,

From wall to wall where behind the couch is 9ft wide, knock of a few inches due to the base board. Now a B4 in my room would be just great, but far as price goes i'm out of my league. Trying to explain all this to my wife starting out was like Blah, blah, blah! "All i hear you saying Terence is...... you want to spend more $$$$! I don't see what's wrong with having two speakers?????!"

Anyone FEEL my pain?

One day my wish will come true, that she will one day convert 100% into a HT nutt. Then just think, no more back N forth over getting new gear. :) Someone needs to invent a pill for that!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Trying to explain all this to my wife starting out was like Blah, blah, blah! "All i hear you saying Terence is...... you want to spend more $$$$! I don't see what's wrong with having two speakers?????!"

Anyone FEEL my pain?

Poor terence:D I feel for ya brother. My wife says the same thing. I'm ready to buy again but I don't know how to bring it up after all I have had to say about her spending:frowning:

What about we go ahead and each order a new sub and use each others shoulder to cry on when we get beat-up for the next couple weeks? :b

steve nn feels your pain.

terence

Supporting Actor

If we do that, i'm pretty sure we will be roomates faster than you can say "SPL"! Then our only problem will be, will the HT be big enuff for the two of us??!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks