What's new

Have you bought a 4K set yet? Do you see yourself getting one in 2017? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wait, your less than one year old Sony 930D is not working?

Yeah, it is dead as of this morning. After researching online it seems to be quite common. Pretty bad when Sony has to replace an entire unit instead of fixing it. $2K down the drain, I'm hot.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thats actually a good thing if they give you a 940E. The 930D was a red headed stepchild between the 940C and 940E.

I read that Sony offers the 900E 2017 model in exchange, so I'm still out $800, and no 3D.

Not what I paid for, or what I want but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

if they try forcing a refurbished model on me as I have read, there is gonna be a problem.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I read that Sony offers the 900E 2017 model in exchange, so I'm still out $800, and no 3D.

Not what I paid for, or what I want but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

if they try forcing a refurbished model on me as I have read, there is gonna be a problem.
In my estimation, forking over 2K hardly makes you a beggar!

If you want 3D in your replacement set, since it was in the one you originally bought and paid your hard earned money for, I think that Sony should bloody well give you satisfaction in that department! It's not YOUR fault they sold you a lemon! Just my opinion!

All the best to you in your justifiable quest for satisfaction regarding this, Bryan.

CHEERS! :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Called Sony support. They are going to contact a local tv repair shop, send them the parts to fix it, and e-mail me when it is time for them to arrive at my house to repair it.
Sounds easy enough, I hope it is salvageable.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Looking for my first 4k tv and after some research and my last 3 TV's were Sony's I will buy the 900E 49" but selling at the regular price at around $1200 I hope will come down under $1000. When I look at the price of that tv it seems all the stores have at the same price and I guess because it's a new release.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Does anyone have experience with Samsung's MU8000 series sets? I've been working with a local wholesaler to get a mid range theater set up. The problem is that the first two sets he's hooked up turn off as soon as you turn it on. My electrical is not the problem and he claims these sets work st his house.

I've tried all the google suggestions and none work. These are supposedly the 2017 models.

Any ideas?

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
This is why I'll NEVER order a major device online! I don't blame you for being livid, Bryan! Unbelievable! :angry:

Online has nothing to do with it, at this point, from anywhere, he would have to deal with Sony.

And to be frank, a 900E for a 940D, BULLSHIT. Fight them all the way. You need to get a new 940D or a 940E.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Online has nothing to do with it, at this point, from anywhere, he would have to deal with Sony.

And to be frank, a 900E for a 940D, BULLSHIT. Fight them all the way. You need to get a new 940D or a 940E.

However it turns out, this will be the last Sony TV I buy. I had the top of line Sony CRT From 2002 to 2008 and it died as well. I just upgraded to my first LCD before it died so I took the hit and let 6 years of good use justify the $900(27") as good enough and I got rid of it.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I had the big Sony LCOS rear projection TV for many years. It eventually developed the green blob and I replaced it with an LG EF9500 OLED TV. Smaller in size, but beautiful picture and 3D. When (if) the big 77" LGs come down in price, I'll get one of those and move the 9500 up to the bedroom.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't know what it is like in the US;; however, if you live in Canada avoid LG at all costs. Their after purchase customer service is complete shit and their technical department is entirely incompetent. Their warranty is worthless.

The overwhelmingly negative Google reviews on their website, regarding their service quality, are not just hyperbole. They are the absolute truth.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So, while trying to sort out what could be done about my LG set, I went back to the store where I purchased it. Basically, they said that it would be covered by my extended warrant,y once it kicks in, in the event that LG won't own up to the set having a defective screen.

The subject of replacement came up and I said I'm not sure how that will work if they were to replace it with a 2017 model, since the 2017 models have no 3D support and that was one of my main reasons for buying the set. Dolby vision support is not as important to me as being able to access my 3D discs.

During the conversation, the fellow I was talking to mentioned that 3D support was being reinstated for 2018 on LG models. He didn't say how many models, just that it was being brought back. Now, we will have to wait and see if that info pans out.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
During the conversation, the fellow I was talking to mentioned that 3D support was being reinstated for 2018 on LG models. He didn't say how many models, just that it was being brought back. Now, we will have to wait and see if that info pans out.

Wow. That's quite a potentially important bit of news!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow. That's quite a potentially important bit of news!

Yes. Unfortunately, it still has to be treated as rumour, since it came from a salesperson and not directly from an LG rep; however, he also.didn't qualify his words. He sounded very positive that it will be on at least some 2018 models. Just have to wait and see if it turns to be true.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I was doing the rounds of local chain/independent TV dealers on Saturday and also heard something about 2018/19 for 3D. It was just a comment, and a big "might". This guy seemed fairly knowledgable/informed, but then, he also really likes QLEDs (actually, more like Samsung, and that's what they have), so who knows... I wonder if there's some popular web site that I don't know about that has this particular rumor and that's where everyone's getting it.

Hope it's true. I was thinking of getting a new main set in 2018, but was considering doing it a bit early to snag one of the "last" 3D models around.

Oh yeah, re topic: I have bought a 4K LCD ("LED") set already, but it's not HDR-capable, there was a couple years where that's how they were. I intended to only use it for gaming and 3D at 1080p, it was cheap and seemed OK, but it ain't no plasma...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks