What's new

Have you bought a 4K set yet? Do you see yourself getting one in 2017? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are you saying streams aren't software????
When I talked about video software, I'm talking about physical discs. Your definition of software might be different than mine and I'm find with that, but I think Tino knows what I meant by my post. Hell, I don't even know if Tino streams much. I do and have about 600 digital copies of films.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
When I talked about video software, I'm talking about physical discs. Your definition of software might be different than mine and I'm find with that, but I think Tino knows what I meant by my post. Hell, I don't even know if Tino streams much. I do and have about 600 digital copies of films.

I stream plenty. I think I have about 1500 films in HDX on VUDU.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Streams are, by definition, software

Cmon Sam. You know what we mean![emoji12]

You may be technically correct but I think most people would agree with Crawdaddy and I that streams are not software.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cmon Sam. You know what we mean![emoji12]

You may be technically correct but I think most people would agree with Crawdaddy and I that streams are not software.
Maybe I should have used the term physical software so that Sam would be okay with it?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's sort of irrelevant what's "software". What matters is whether there's "content" or "media" available in a format, and of a format and quality people are interested in watching. Not that I'd be pedantic or anything ;)

But why it matters here is that while it's implicit to some that "there's nothing to watch" means "no physical media", to the newb (which often includes me on the UHD / HDR topics) that means "there's nothing nowhere". :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Whether it's a file sitting on a Netflix server or a file recorded on optical media, it's ALL nothing but ones and zeros, a mathematical representation of data, and therefore software by definition. If you want to really be pedantic and all. ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't consider data streaming to be software. The program used to decode the data stream into a user friendly format is software. The data stream is just purely data retrieved from storage. Physical discs are not software either. They are simply a storage device from which a piece of hardware can retrieve the data and a piece of software decodes it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately there is not a lot of research you can do when buying a tv that is fresh on the market. I bought my Sony 930D last year in August, and not one year later, its a boat anchor. Useless, won't power on, and as I've been reading a common issue with this unit. No easy fix and replacement is offered instead.

Now comes the long troublesome process of acquiring a new model in exchange if that is an option. Damn, the era of disposable TV's, what BS.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately there is not a lot of research you can do when buying a tv that is fresh on the market. I bought my Sony 930D last year in August, and not one year later, its a boat anchor. Useless, won't power on, and as I've been reading a common issue with this unit. No easy fix and replacement is offered instead.

Now comes the long troublesome process of acquiring a new model in exchange if that is an option. Damn, the era of disposable TV's, what BS.
Wait, your less than one year old Sony 930D is not working?

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Thats actually a good thing if they give you a 940E. The 930D was a red headed stepchild between the 940C and 940E.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks