What's new

Have Disney had a change of policy over Family movies? Ella Enchanted announced in WS (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure when this happened but the original announcement was for a Fullscreen only release and now there is a Widescreen version available to order at various online retailers.

Not sure which is the official artwork though...

OR

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure when this happened but the original announcement was for a Fullscreen only release and now there is a Widescreen version available to order at various online retailers.

Not sure which is the official artwork though...

OR

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Well, it was a really good flick, and definately deserves a widescreen release.

Ryan

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Well, it was a really good flick, and definately deserves a widescreen release.

Ryan

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
For new release family movies, Disney has released widescreen versions more often than not. The only two exceptions I am sure about are "The Country Bears" and "Snow Dogs". Most other stuff like "102 Dalmations", "Freaky Friday", "The Princess Diaries", "Holes", and "The Lizzie McGuire Movie" have been available in widescreen.

They are usually less than clear and/or accurate in their pre-release specs as far as widescreen and anamorphic enhancement, so the more likely scenario would be that the marketing department got it wrong vs. anyone actually changing their mind about it.

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
For new release family movies, Disney has released widescreen versions more often than not. The only two exceptions I am sure about are "The Country Bears" and "Snow Dogs". Most other stuff like "102 Dalmations", "Freaky Friday", "The Princess Diaries", "Holes", and "The Lizzie McGuire Movie" have been available in widescreen.

They are usually less than clear and/or accurate in their pre-release specs as far as widescreen and anamorphic enhancement, so the more likely scenario would be that the marketing department got it wrong vs. anyone actually changing their mind about it.

Regards,

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Laser's Edge has the cover art up, and it has the widescreen banner. I'd say that confirms that a widescreen version is going to be released.

Also, Mirimax is a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney Enterprises.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Laser's Edge has the cover art up, and it has the widescreen banner. I'd say that confirms that a widescreen version is going to be released.

Also, Mirimax is a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney Enterprises.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor

I personally think this isn't the case, whether it's Miramax or not, other studios have done this before where a "Family" movie is planned for P&S only, then at the last minute, they decide to go with WS also.

Whether it's down to pressure from WS advocates or just researching sales figures is not known but I think they realise the sales potential & right their ways.

However, this is the 1st time I've seen a Disney distributed studio do it & I just hope it's not the last.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Johnny,

I'd guess the latter rather than the former. Simply put, WS has been outpacing its edited counterpart for some time, and WS TV sales have been impressive of late.

But as was said before, this is Miramax, while they are a subsidiary, they are fairly independent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks