What's new

Have 4:3 non-HDTV.. Do I need Prog. scan dvd player? (1 Viewer)

Hi Gang

Will I see any improvement in the video if I have a regular TV? Can anyone recommen a non-prog scan player? Thanks!

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
that depends on your t.v.,if you have a S input or a component input and your t.v. can display a 480p signal then you will see a better picture(you won't get 480p thru the S input) but you still will improve the picture by using the S input.
seems like panasonic,sony and toshiba makes a decent and low priced DVD player (under 200.00 bucks).

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
Mike
correct me if i'm wrong ,but even with a regular t.v. shouldn't he get 480 lines of resolution from the dvd although it is interlaced as opposed to regular broadcast(330). my understanding that television is capable of this many lines even though broadcast is only 330 lines. granted low dollar t.v.s might not have this capability.the only limiting factor would be his connection(coax or composite).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
my understanding that television is capable of this many lines even though broadcast is only 330 lines.
All NTSC TV images display 480 lines from top to bottom ("vertical resolution"). That's the NTSC standard, and you get it from DVD, broadcast, VHS, laserdisc, or any other NTSC source. The difference between interlaced and progressive is how often, and in what order, those lines are drawn.
The 330 number refers to "horizontal resolution", which varies from source to source. AFAIK, DVD has the same horizontal resolution in both interlaced and progressive formats.
M.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
On regular direct view TV you couldn't tell whether it is interlaced or progressive anyhow unless you have a trained eye or are really close to the set.

Simply put the answer is no to any such improvement from that kind of DVD player to a non SD(480i/480p)/HD/digital TV

Only get the Progressive scan if you plan to get an HDTV soon. May as well be future proof.

GAVIN

Auditioning
Well answer this question for me please. I purchased a Sony 36-XBR450 a couple of days ago. This TV has the 3:2 conversion pull down built into it. Do I also need a progressive scan DVD to maximize my picture or will my DVP-650C DVD/SACD set be able to provide the best possible picture. I have never been able to get a clarification. I was told by someone I work with that I would have to have both unit with progressive scan in order to achieve the best possible resolution. If so then I will wait for the new Sony DVD/SACD changer and purchase that one as my new DVD player.

Can anyone answer if progressive scan is really needed or not in addition to having a TV with 3:2 conversion pull down?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Gavin --
I suspect what you're trying to say is that your set has an internal line doubler with 3/2 pulldown detection (I'm not familiar with that particular model, so I can't confirm either way). If so, then the answer to your question is: Yes, a good p/s player will produce a superior image, BUT the difference may not be big enough to justify the additional cost. That's a decision each individual has to make for him/herself. Some people in this hobby will pay a lot of money to enjoy an improvement that others would regard as negligible.
I was told by someone I work with that I would have to have both unit with progressive scan in order to achieve the best possible resolution.
Strictly speaking, it's not a question of "resolution". You get the same resolution from a DVD whether the output is progressive or interlaced. But to get the best overall image, you do need a TV that supports a 480p display. Internal line doublers generate a 480p output; so do p/s players. It's an either/or choice -- when you connect a p/s player to a TV with an internal line doubler, the internal doubler is automatically bypassed.
M.

GAVIN

Auditioning
Would it be fair to say that it would not make a difference as to whether my DVD was progrssive scan or the TV was capable of progressive scan. My television has "CineMotionTM Reverse 3-2 Pull Down Technology" and "Hi-Scan 1080iTM" capabilities. I could never seem to get the answer straight as to whether I would need to have both devices with progressive scan built in them for this technology to be a complete package. Seems, what you are saying is that one device will over ride the other! Which one becomes dominant in the event that both devices are progressive scan capable? Is the "CineMotionTM Reverse 3-2 Pull Down Technology" considered Progressive scan or just a feature to enhance the picture. Do I need to purchase a progressive scan DVD to have P/S in my current setup?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As I said, I'm not familiar with your set. What I've outlined above applies generally to sets with internal line doublers, but that's all I can offer. I suggest you start a new thread in the Display Devices section; be sure to include the model number in the title, and with any luck you'll get the attention of people more familiar with the set than I am.
M.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Gavin, it's pretty common for the answer to be as Michael told you: a progressive DVD player will probably provide a better picture than just about any built-in line-doubler (progressive scan), but whether you would think the usually-minor difference is worth the cost is the real question. If you do a search on here about it, you should find people saying just that. A progressive-scan player was a noticeable improvement usually, but not by much, and sometimes not at all. As TVs' line-doublers have become better and better, there's been less need for a progressive-scan player.

One other thing -- progressive scan and line-doubling are the same thing, while 3:2 pulldown is for anamorphic DVDs. Most movies are widescreen, and the anamorphic/3:2 pulldown versions cram all of the lines of resolution into that widescreen space. Otherwise you'd be losing out on some resolution.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
3:2 pulldown has nothing to do with whether a DVD is anamorphic or not. Apples and oranges. 3:2 pulldown is relevant on any DVD that was converted to video from an original film source. Anamorphic (in DVD terms, anyway) refers to the width-to-height ratio in which the video information is recorded onto the DVD disc.
Unless a progressive scan DVD player is hooked up to an HD-ready set using component video cables, it's acting as a regular, interlaced DVD player. So buying a PS DVD player for a non-HDready set might future-proof you, but it won't improve the picture one bit. :)
Gavin, your XBR does indeed have 3:2 pulldown and a built-in line doubler, but like all line-doublers that are built into TVs, it "doubles" an analog signal that has already lost some information and been subject to interference as it travelled from the source (in this case, DVD player) to the TV. A DVD player with true progressive scan does not double the image in the same manner; it takes two digital fields of information pretty much straight off the DVD and combines them, and then converts that to analog and sends it to your set. For that reason, most any good PS DVD player will produce a better image than an interlaced DVD coupled with a built-into-the-TV line doubler.
If you use a DVD player with progressive scan, the line doubler in your TV will be bypassed, and this is the only way to get what I'd call a "true" progressive DVD image on your TV. So strictly speaking, the picture on your XBR will look better with a PS DVD player than with a regular one. However, on a 36" screen you may well be very satisfied with the picture you see from your current DVD player along with the TV's line-doubler. Use a set of component video cables to connect the DVD player to the TV and see what you think. Pay close attention to any diagonal lines on screen... if you see jaggedy lines that look like stair-steps, you might consider buying a new progressive-scan DVD player (Sony's DVP700p is a fine progressive player that can be had for $250 or less). If not, just enjoy the TV and worry about getting a new DVD player when the current one dies. Hope this helps!

GAVIN

Auditioning
Finally, an answer to some questions that I could never the truth. I really do appreciate the response to the above issue. It helps to clarify whether or not I should have a progressive scan player. I truly do want the best possible picture and I am willing to try a progressive scan DVD player. I will probably purchase one and hook it up and see what happens. If I find that there is not a difference in my eyes then I will just return it and keep using the one that I have.

Once again,

Thanks for the assistance guys,

Gavin

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jim provided a very concise and accurate explanation of 3:2 pulldown and progressive scanning. If you want to learn more, along with some excellent illustrated examples, check out the following link:
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks