What's new

Has the Les Miserables Dream Cast Superbit been delayed? (1 Viewer)

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
Like others on this forum, I was looking forward to picking this up on October 7. I was just checking Amazon's price for it and got this message:

The studio is currently not producing this title on DVD, but to be notified when it is available, enter your e-mail address at right. You'll also be voting for this release; we'll let the studio know how many customers are waiting for this title.
What's the deal? I notice that EFilmCritic still has it listed for October 7. Anybody heard anything? I was really looking forward to this title.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I sure hope this hasn't been delayed. It's still on the SUPERBIT web site.

CraigCA

Auditioning
I'm pretty sure Amazon just has it confused with

the old version which is now out of print.

It will be very nice to get this in Widescreen!

CB

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
THIS HAS BEEN DELAYED (TBA). I received an email from CTHV. I guess we're out of luck for now...

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Amazon.ca now give a release date of 1st April 2004.

Not sure if this is just wishful thinking though.

Those of you not wanting to wait may wish to consider the R2 PAL UK release if you can play it. This is now quite cheap have seen it in sales for around £7 (US$10)

However make sure you get the reissued version which is anamorphic 1.78 with Dolby 2.0 (not sure if this is plain stereo probably was or surround). The original version in the UK was p/s 4.3 and a flipper.

Does anyone know what the correct aspect ratio of this is as some sites say the proposed superbit is 2.35

Looking at my 1.78 UK disk it does seem very tightly framed at times when two are singing they are at the extremely edges of the frame.

Brendon

Second Unit
Just received an email from Amazon.com saying:

We are sorry to report that the release of the following

item has been cancelled:

John Caird (Director), et al "Les Miserables - The Dream Cast in

Concert (Superbit Collection)"

Though we had expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found that it will not be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience we have caused you.

We have cancelled this item from your order.

Whilst sad and seemingly there is nothing that can be done regarding this, does anyone know the reason/rationale behind the decision ?

Cheers,

Bren

Amano Ai

Agent
I was looking forward to this one too, glad I did not sell off my current dvd. Maybe they could not do enough with the current material to deem it a "Superbit" or after some marketing, found there is not enough of an audience for it?

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody knows what happened to this? Any updates? I sold my old copy :frowning:
I would really love to finally get this in widescreen as it seems it was recorderd that way. Especially when you miss part of the screen in many shots.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone tell me if the 98 adaption with Liam Neeson is worth checking out or owning on DVD? I've read some good reviews but never seen the film... is it anything special?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Hi Marco,
The Liam Neeson version is the only version of Les Miz I've seen, and I thought it was a pretty good movie. However, the author of the DVD review at DVD Movie Guide might deter you:
Fans of the Broadway musical might find this movie adaptation to be less than inspiring as a lot of the sentimental subplots in the play are missing.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
There's a Dream Cast of Les Miz? You mean, Dom De Luise, Burt Reynolds, Jack Elam, Mel Tillis, Jamie Farr, Jackie Chan, and Adrienne Barbeau were cast in Les Miz!?!? And I haven't heard about it till now? Why doesn't someone TELL me these things!

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw Les Miserables movie (w/ Liam Neeson) yesterday and I thought the movie was pretty good w/ excellent cinematography & strong acting. Have not read the book by Victor Hugo, but after watching the movie, it makes me want to read it as well as want to see the musical version.

And now they're coming out with a Superbit musical version, even better, bring it on! I for one do not plan on paying $40+ on eBay for the current musical.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I haven't read the book, but I believe the entire Eponine character and storyline which are featured in the stage musical do not exist in the book or in any of the movie versions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks for setting me straight Kenneth. I was misinformed. So please disregard my comment.

I think Eponine is also in the movie versions, but maybe not featured to the level that she is in the musical. At least not that I remember from watching the old 1935 version (the one with Charles Laughton as Javert).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps a reason for the cancelation is due to their inability to get the "cracklies" out of the recording?

I own both the original DVD and the CD of this concert and there's quite a bit of vocal crackling (I don't know if it's due to the mics they used or recorded the concert too hot, whatever) on most of the principles.

I know that if I purchased a Superbit title, only to find those anomalies, I'd be mighty upset...

Brendon

Second Unit
Just thought I'd dust this particular thread off and add the following:
The Les Mis Dream Cast concert has been rereleased in the UK, region 2. Alas it is a repackaging of the original 1.78:1 aspect ratio/Dolby Digital 2.0 version, together with a second disc. :thumbsdown: The extra disc contains the Stage by Stage documentary produced at the end of the eighties, whilst the Complete Symphonic album was in production.
It looks like the Superbit/ 5.1 multichannel version seeing the light of day is looking more remote as time goes on - in the UK at least.
Anyone know anything more Stateside ?
Thanks,
Brendon

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Ah, crud. I just finished watching the Region 1 DVD this weekend and burning "Bring Him Home," and I had NO idea the special was even filmed in widescreen until this thread. Oh, well, I'd double-dip for a SE one day, in any event--terrific teaming, especially priceless Brit Alun Armstrong (Thenardier) and Aussie Philip Quast (Javert).

My favorite version, though, is the 1978 Glenn Jordan/John Gay ITV release with Richard Jordan's best performance as Jean Valjean and a cold, merciless Anthony Perkins as Javert--one of television's most memorable characterizations, IMHO. I have to admit that the musical, as tuneful and zealous as it was, disappointed me by all but dropping Sister Simplice, Fauchelevent and Marius's aristocrat grandfather (Gillenormand). These were three characters who really rounded out Valjean's transformation from violent ex-con to near-saint.

And I hope no one takes this as a threadfart, but the 1998 Bille August adaptation takes unforgiveable liberties with Victor Hugo's novel, IMHO--particularly Valjean's overly brutal treatment of the Bishop of Digne. That is why, despite Geoffrey Rush's fine performance, this film has remained unwatchable ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks