What's new

has anything happened whilst i've been going cold turkey? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've deliberately stayed away from HTF for the last month or so while I went cold turkey (yes, I know you've all missed me). Mid-December we decided to buy a hand-reared African grey parrot. To pay for it on top of a couple of big auto repair bills, I decided I'd renounce DVD buying for the next few months. This also involved avoiding all my old junky haunts (including HTF) while I got used to not buying the shiny discs.

Actually, it's not been too bad. I hadn't realised how many DVDs I'd bought and not watched, so a moratorium on spending until I catch up with the 'back catalogue' is probably no bad thing anyway. Plus, the parrot has kept me busy. ;)

I'm now daring to return to HTF, but only to the After Hours, TV and music sections.

So what's been happening?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I don't know about you but I've put off buying DVDs ever since the times of the early internet e-commerce when Amazon was pretty much giving away DVDs for $3-$5...or buy.com.

I borrow my DVDs from my local library when I know I have the time to watch them...

Jay

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"This also involved avoiding all my old junky haunts (including HTF)"

Wow, that's rude:)

I've found that if I wait a couple of weeks after a new release I tend to get over the "must buy" problems I run into most weeks

B

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Here in the sunny UK things are different and prices are just a little higher (the cheapest DVDs are at least 15 dollars, and typically a lot more, especially for new releases). Actually, the exercise is proving to be a salutory one. I hadn't realised how much I was watching movies that I didn't really care for just because I could get them on DVD. Similarly, I didn't realise how strong the 'mustbuyitis' had got me.

Please, this isn't a veiled criticism of anyone else's buying habits. Just mine. ;)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I hear ya buddy. I actually have a spot on my shelf just for stuff I bought but haven't watched yet. And I won't even mention how many I have that I watched once and pushed aside. That's why I joined Netflix. I can preview them first and only buy the ones I really like. Unfortunately, I seem to have the same problem on the hardware side.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
When we went into the pet store, I told the assistant that I was looking for an alternative to turkey for Christmas dinner and asked if there was there anything they could recommend, whilst staring pointedly at the parrot's cage. Fortunately, they know me in there and got the joke.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Not much has happened while you were gone Andrew.

It is nice that the high-def format war is over since Radio Shack announced it’s Blu-Ray/HD DVD Dual Format Toaster Oven (TOS-80) with built in home server, wireless interface & HD satellite dish mounted on top for $199.95. Other than that, there’s really no news.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Pfft, where have you been, Jay? Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are dead, Super HD Disc with 15.4 surround and 4320p resolution was released a week ago. Unfortunately, I'm typing this from my local library, as my four SVS PB12-Ultra/2 subs caused my house to collapse and I'm living out of a hotel for now.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Been away as well, just slowing easing back into things. I did stumble upon this thread, whose premise made me wanna run back out screaming in horror (and I trust you too Andrew).

--
H

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Congratulations on the new addition! Greys are such odd and amazing creatures!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
ooOooOo... an African Grey! Beautiful plumage! ;)

Seriously... I'm jealous. Always wanted a nice parrot. The African Grey is high on my "I wish" list. Congrats!

As for whats new... dunno. I haven't been around much. Too busy studying the fascinacting interactions of silica and salsa. :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you can accelerate the teaching of your parrot with one of these. They'll be best buddies.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks