What's new

Has anyone watched Cherry Falls? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
I remember watching a trailer for this movie on one of the Total Movie disks but I think it went straight to video and I haven't seen it at my local rental shop.Can anyone tell me their thoughts on this movie?
By the way,my taste in horror movies includes anything from the Exorcist to Scream.Speaking of Total Movie,I just received issue #5 without even subscribing and I must say I was very surprised.Nice to see their honoring old subscriptions.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I saw this on Movie central last month and had mixed thoughts on it. First off, it is a teen horror genre flick so that musty be taken into consideration. Saying that, it wasn't that bad at all. It has some good actors like Brittany Murphy, Michael Beihn and Jay Mohr which can be a blessing or a curse. I don't want to get into the plot in case you rent or buy it. I would recommend a renting just to see if it is your cup of tea
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
I rented it a couple months back, and really enjoyed it. Not run-out-and-buy-it enjoy it...but I thought it was well worth a rental. Brainless fun teen horror with an amusing premise - not quite as much flesh as you might hope, given the premise, but in todays overly-PC society (IMHO, at least), not too bad.
------------------
Woody Hanscom
Link Removed

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
It's one of the better slasher films of the past few years. If you like horror movies, you should watch it.
The only version out there to watch (sadly) is an R-rated cut (which runs at 92 minutes). The unrated cut runs around five minutes longer and adds in more of the orgy scene (think Eyes Wide Shut [the unaltered cut] just in a run down house and a little bit more nudity
smile.gif
) and all deaths are on screen kills that are very violent (the R-rated cut edits all the death scenes to the point you don't see the person die OR you don't see any blood). Hopefully USA Films will release an uncut version of this film some day (as they have released NC-17 films before to theaters and video).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."
[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on October 19, 2001 at 05:44 PM]

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
It was nothing special. If you enjoy cheesy slasher movies it's a decent one.
I rented this a while back from Netflix and the disc came as a double feature with Terror Tract. I enjoyed Terror Tract a hell of a lot more. It was one of those episodic type horror films, ala Creepshow. John Ritter is pretty damn funny as a real-estate agent who is showing houses to some prospective buyers. Each house has it's own horrific background story.
So I think you can't lose at least checking this disc out.
------------------
"You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they
don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you." - Silent Bob
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai
Optimus Prime Films

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Decent flick, but I felt it missed some oppurtunities, was a bit predictable and the ending didn't settle with me. I think it would have been a much better film if they played up the satire edge of it, after all the premise is the murderer is killing virigns, quite the opposite of your typical horror where the person(s) committing the "sin" is killed. If the director messed with the whole how innocent are kids (high school and younger anyway) more it would have been much more fun. For example the big house where the orgy is held. What if for instance they established that with a long shot showing kids of all ages (down to 14 or so) queing up outside the house to get in. Cut to a two shot, with a bored looking senior asking the age of everyone coming in, they reply and he says 15, two doors down on your right, etc. Pan down the hall across a series of closed doors with a piece of paper taped to the front of each door: thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen and up. follow through the eighteen and up door pan around the edges of the room, where there are massive piles of clothing. follow witha couple of long shots like those shown in the actual R cut and you have a much better set up, I think, then what the film gave. It's darkly humorous I think, and would have added to the mood of the film.
I was anticipating the film for some time, because I read a script review in some movie magazine that mentioned one of hte best lines in teh film was when the lead female's younger brother rationalizes her going to the party, to their mom, as "not any different that getting a flu shot" in the film I think that line was said by one of her friedns to another friend. But it's that'kind of darkly comic spirit I was anticipating for the film, and i was sorely disapointed.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Adam, you might like this...
quote: Sandy appears at the top of the stairs, decked out, ready
for the party. Her mom bursts into tears. Sandy heads
toward the front door. her father walks up to her and
hugs her. Her brother Andy, smirks in the b.g. Mom cries
harder.
ANDY
Just think of it like she’s having a
flu shot. Purely preventive.[/quote]
:)
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."
[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on October 20, 2001 at 06:59 PM]

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Greeting and Salutations
I bought the DVD without seeing the movie before hand and I was not dissapointed.
The killer I thought was obvious but you can still have a little fun guessing
If only the orgy scene was longer .......
Anyway, yeah give it a rent just in case it is not your cup of tea.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I saw Cherry Falls when it had its 'world premiere' on TBS (or TNT or USA, I forget).
Although I was initially quite intrigued by the concept (slasher stalking virgins), I felt that the movie was A) too derivative and B) poorly edited.
Worth a look for horror fans, though.
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://www.ofcs.org

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks